430EZ Flash on a G9...

john_markanich

<p>Will a Canon 430EZ Flash work on a G9 without frying its guts. I haven't been able to find any trip voltage numbers on either and thought it better to ask before I connect & click.<br>

I have been using the 430 on a Canon 10s film camera (both of the same vintage - early 1990's).</p>

<p>Yes it will work perfectly...... but only in Manual mode.<br>

EZ series flashes will not work in ETTL mode or ETTL II mode which digital cameras use. You need EX series flashes to get maximum benefit of flash unless you dont mind working in Manual mode.<br>

430EZ flash will not work with 30D as well.</p>

<p>>Canon says that EZ series won't work with digital cameras - only EX series. I'm not sure if that means not at all or simply not automatically.<br>

Not automatically. I think it's wise of Canon to say there's a blanket incompatibility, because otherwise you get people buying old gear on auction sites and blaming Canon when their used EZ unit won't meter automatically on their Digital Rebel.<br>

The EZ units with manual controls (all of them except for the fairly useless 300EZ) should fire on digital bodies, and since they have manual output you can use them Strobist-style.</p>