jim_larson1

Any thoughts on the new 430EX?

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7885-7974

In my mind, this flash is not a 420EX upgrade but rather a major new

tier in the speedlight line.

Compared to the 420EX, this flash

1) Has full manual controls

2) Has FEC.

3) Has other more-expected 420EX upgrade features.

While only capable of operating in "slave" mode in a wireless setup

(like the 420EX) this flash seems to be a halfway step to a full

blown 580EX. Seems to be a perfect choice for anyone who does not

need a "master" unit in a wireless setup.

Note that at $300, with the new features, this unit does not seem

hideously overpriced compared to the $175 420EX and $380 580EX.

(Note: the 580EX was originally introduced at $480, and was hideously

overpriced at that level).

(Ya' know. . .I generally in the past have used the term "new and

shiney price premium". I am now introducing the term "hideously

overpriced" for certain products.)

In case it hasn't been noticed, the 430EX replaced the 420EX on the Canon Consumer website. The 430EX is obviously an upgrade replacement for the apparently now discontinued 420EX.

I believe the price will drop on it just as the price dropped on the 580EX. Look for a bargain price on pre-orders as supplies are probably going to be short initially.

About the same size and weight as the 420EX

ISO 100 maximum guide number of 43 (metres)/141 (feet) at 105mm position

Tilt/swivel head (similar to the 580EX) as well as auto/manual zoom from 24mm-105mm

Built-in, pop down-style wide panel for coverage to 14mm

A revised control layout including an illuminated LCD data panel that serves as the access point for most settings

Compatibility with E-TTL and E-TTL II systems, including Canon wireless (Slave mode only)

40% faster recycling than the 420EX - Canon claims a 2 second full power recycle time with NiMH AA's

High Speed Sync, 2nd Curtain Sync and flash exposure compensation are all settable on the flash

Manual power settings from full to 1/64 in 1 stop increments

6 Custom Functions

Flash head zooms to properly match the angle of view of certain Canon digital SLRs with sensors smaller than full frame

Flash communicates burst duration and charge level to certain Canon digital SLRs for use in AWB calculation

Save Energy (SE) function

>> In my mind, this flash is not a 420EX upgrade but rather a major new tier in the speedlight line.

I fully agree.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

<p>To me, it's an upgrade, albeit a bigger upgrade than expected. It's not a new tier because the old tier isn't there any more ("<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20050822_24newproducts.html">Speedlite 430EX flash unit <em>replaces</em> the Speedlite 420EX</a>" says the press release; emphasis mine). Many of the features are exactly as some of us expected: white balance info, crop factor compensation, a bit more power, revised shape, quicker cycle times. These sorts of changes happened in the 550EX-to-580EX upgrade.</p>

<p>I am surprised by the manual output control and the wide panel, and somewhat surprised by custom functions (though I don't think Canon has yet published a list of what, exactly, the CFs for the 430EX are). I'm a bit surprised by the LCD, as well, but it followed logically from the manual control and the wide panel. FEC is also a bit of a surprise, particularly now that they've decided that FEC should be part of bodies below the advanced-amateur level, meaning that fewer bodies <em>need</em> it on the flash itself.</p>

To see the 430EX replace the 420EX is not a surprise.

To see the price jump from $175 to $300 is not a surprise. (although not a pleasant surprise)

What is a surprise is to see the new control features added. This makes the 430EX a much more capable unit -> which justifies much of the price increase.

For general usage, however, I would still recommend the 420EX.

<p>Indeed, the higher price should be a surprise to nobody. The question is how much of it is the new and shiny premium, and where will the price end up once that has rubbed off? Above $175, I think; probably $225. Just an uneducated guess, though.</p>

<p>I traded up from 380EX to 420EX when I traded up from Elan II to Elan 7E, mostly since the brain-damaged AF assist beam on the 380EX covered only 1/3 of the AF points on the II (if you picked 'em manually; if you left it in auto, it covered none at all!) and 1/7 of the points on the 7E. I don't plan on trading up to the 430EX for my 20D; the 420EX' AF assist beam doesn't cover all 9 AF points if you select them individually, but in automatic mode, it does a pretty good job of covering all nine most of the time. Crop factor compensation would be nice, if it actually works properly on the 430EX. None of the rest is much use to me. And trading in a used 420EX wouldn't get me much money off the 430EX.</p>

<p>If I were buying new later this year, I'd try to scoop up a 420EX at a good price. If I were buying new next year, I'd try to wait for the price on the 430EX to come down a bit.</p>