430EX build quality - tilt/swivel head a little loose

I tried out a new 430EX flash at a local shop, and I discovered that there was

a bit of play / looseness between the flash's body and the swivel/tilt head.

In other words, the swivel/tilt head moves both in horizontal and vertical

axis a little bit (without pushing the PUSH button), so much that when you

pick up the flash and move it in your hand, the flash head rattles a little

bit. Is this normal with all/most 430EX? How is it on your copies? Perhaps

this has something to do with the one button bounce release design?

I have never owned a Canon flash before, so I am not familiar with overall

build quality of Canon products. On my previous flashes (Contax TLA360 and a

number of Metz flashes), the swivel/tilt heads have always been quite rigid

without a trace of play.

My 9 month old 430EX is firm. However, a thousand heavy handed customers haven't fondled

it for the past year. I've seen really shopworn gear in many stores--wear a normal shooter

could never accomplish in 10 years of use.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

There has always been some play in mine. Yes, it does rattle a little as well. My old 380ex had a much more solid feel. My preference is that there would be no play but it isn't bad enough to warrant action. Well, action beyond complaining about it here ;).

I went back to a couple of other stores and checked a number of 430EX's (not the display models but new ones from boxes) - they all had a bit of play. For comparison sake all 580EX were a little tighter, but the play was still there. So I guess it has something to do with the way the flash is designed/assembled.

I agree - this is a minor issue. The reason for the thread was that I just wanted to be sure that what I would buy is up to regular Canon standards.

• 1 month later...
I received my 430ex a couple days ago from B&H. The head does have some play in it. I went to a couple of photo stores and there 430's also had play. I think its just the nature of the beast. I even called Canon and they verified that there should be a little play in the head. Why? who knows...I cut a small strip of black electrical tape and put it between the body of the 430 and the head (back of the 430 where there is that small gap between body and head). It worked great. Can't tell its there because both a black and when flash is mounted to camera there is absolutely no movement of rattle. This is only for us obsessive/compulsive people who what "perfection".