40mm Zeiss f/4 compared to 50mm f/4 CF T*?

graham_martin2

<p>For some time I've been wanting to get a wider angle lens than the 50mm f/4 CF T* which I currently own. I am using it on a 500 C/M. The 35mm is beyond my budget, but I have found a 40mm f/4 C lens. Can someone help me with their opinions on one versus the other? I would probably sell the 50mm if the older 40mm lens would yield good results.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I honestly cannot comment on the 50mm f/f CF T* but I have a 40mm f/4 CF T* and it is a <em>superlative lens in every aspect of the word</em>. When you say you have a line on a 40mm f/4 C, am I correct in assuming that it is <em>not</em> a T*? There is A LOT of glass in that lens and it weighs just about <em>one ounce shy </em>of a 500CM body, 45º non-metered finder <em>and</em> A-16 back <em>combined</em>, and multicoating is almost essential if you plan on using it outdoors. You can point my CF T* straight into the sun and not see as much as a single ghost, Carl really outdid himself with this lens.</p>

<p>The closest other lens I have to your 50mm f/4 is my 60mm f/3.5 which although a very outstanding lens, is not quite in the same league as the 40mm f/4.</p>

<p>Scott, thanks very much for the response. You are correct that the lens I am looking at is not a T*. Based on your comments perhaps I need to save up a few more dollars and get the CF T* version even though it costs more than twice as much. With landscapes I am always concerned about flare when the sun might be a factor.</p>

<p>Graham, I have both, and I think the 40mm is definitely wider and useful as the 50mm. The 40mm is a very big lens, compared to the 50mm. It strikes you as a chunk of glass. It has suffered in the shadow of the 38mm on the Super Wide Camera, but I think it is a superb lens, and one that is under rated. It is far more difficult to get filters for, than the 50mm, but that goes with the bigger front element. It cost me quite a bit more than the 50mm (while that might be an obvious statement, it was many times more than what my 50mm cost). I'm not sure what I could add, other than you might want to check out Flickr. I believe they have a group dedicated to the 40mm.</p>

<p>Oh, I just saw your response about T*. Mine is an older version (I expect to upgrade soon), and it is much more prone to flare. I would definitely get the version with extra coating for this wide of lens.</p>

<p>I have both the 40mm and the 50mm in the CF versions (all CFs have T* coatings). They're both superb lenses.</p>

<p>Each has its own character, and I seldom spend any time deciding which to use in a given situation. They sort of jump into the fray, as it were, as appropriate.</p>

<p>You can find the earlier C model with the T* coating (look for a black one). It would be less expensive than the CF, and still an excellent lens in all respects.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>The C40 is a much larger, heavier lens than the CF version, with a size and shape that resembles an urn. Not only is the shutter different in the CF, but the optical design is greatly improved, and adds a floating element to improve flatness of field at close ranges. I have both the CF40 FLE and CF50 FLE, and find them both excellent performers - sharp and low distortion.</p>

<p>I bought the CF40 mainly for use with a digital back, where it is barely considered wide-angle. It is very-wide (in 35mm terms) with film, good for environmental portraits and landscapes with exaggeraged foreground details. My travel "kit" for MF digital is a 40/60/120 combination.</p>

<p>The 30mm lens is a "fisheye", with exaggerated barrel distortion. There is little to commend it for normal use - the fisheye effect is quickly overdone.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How difficult is to master using the two focusing rings?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Trivially easy.</p>

<p>The FLE ring at the front has three click-stop positions, corresponding to subject distances of ∞-2m, 2m-0.9m, and 0.9m-O.5m. It only needs to be set for closeups. Most shooting is done with it at the longest range.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p> </p>