40mm Pancake Lens Filter necessary?

lowfatgraphics

<p>Hey!<br>

How do you guys feel about having a UV filter over the 40mm? I purchased the Hoya filter, but after placing it on, I see its got a little longer...not by a lot, but its similar to how it looks when it focuses forward. <br>

Do you guys think this is necessary to have on this particular lens or should I return the filter? I'm leaning towards just returning the filter...<br>

Thanks in advance,</p>

<p>Amir</p>

<p>My crystal ball says this is going to be a rather long thread. About 50% of responses will make very valid arguments for using a filter. The other 50% will argue with equal validity against it. In the end you might as well have tossed a coin, and it's still up to you to decide.</p>

<p>For situations where the lens may become dirty or scratched from the environment, a UV filter is much easier to clean or replace. Small fingers, BBQ splatter and blowing rain or sand are a few examples of times when I prefer to use lens protection.</p>

<p>I used to swear by filters but lately I've simply left UV's off. I am careful and would cringe over a scratch, but truth is, you can stick a pencil in front of most lenses and not be able to tell it's there. The B+W's I buy are not cheap as most of you know, however, if you're extremely clumsy and just throw gear into a bag… yes. If not… no. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't want this to become a general " Do you need a filter or not" thread...lol<br /> I mean, the strong selling point of the 40mm is the size of the lens...adding things to it seems to take away from it. <br /> I do have filters on my other lens, where size is not a concern.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The same filter arguments apply as for any other lens. Of course this lens' claim to fame is small size, so you don't want to ad a filter and make it larger. But the cool thing about a pancake lens is that with a small camera like a Rebel, you can slip it in coat pocket. And isn't that exactly where the filter comes in handy for protection? And round and round we go...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I mean, the strong selling point of the 40mm is the size of the lens...adding things to it seems to take away from it."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Even more reason to not use one.</p>

<p>Filters are no "easier to clean" than lenses - they are cleaned in precisely the same way. Put a lens cap on when the camera is not out for shooting. I'd at least carry a hood and probably use it most of the time. Unless you are working it extremely damaging environments, there is little or no value in adding a filter to this lens. (And if you are working in such environments... you would likely be using a body with high levels of sealing, such as the 1-series DSLRS.)<br>

<br /> <br /> Dan</p>

<p>Unless your instructions say:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Since the front element of this lens moves when focusing, you need to attach a Canon PROTECT filter sold separately for adequate dust-and water-resistant performance. Without a filter, the lens is not dust or water resistant.</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> You are not compelled to have a UV filter installed on this non dust-and water-resistant lens. Save your money. But, smacking the front element against something will always be a possibility. The probability of that happening during your ownership of the lens is the question. <strong><em>:p</em><br /></strong><br /> </p>

<p>I use a filter when I shoot at the beach during big wave season. And, yes, a filter is much easier to clean than the front element: rinse under tap water (soak if really bad) and pad dry with micro fiber cloth. Cleaning crystallized salt off a lens is a real bitch...</p>

<p>I installed a small metal hood on my pancake to shield it from fingers, most bumps and rubbing against the inside of my camera bag (I don't use lens caps since they may delay a shot).</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>If you're likely to bang the lens into things in a way that might damage the front element, you might want to use the filter. Personally, I just prefer to be careful. The front element is so small that I'm not likely to scrape it against something if I keep my wits about me. Fun lens!</p>

<p>One argument not often noted is that filters can end up causing more damage than they prevent. A filter with a ribbed metal edge will scratch other lenses or equipment, unless you package everything up tightly in its own compartment. Probably only cosmetic damage to the lens barrel, but it's still annoying. Most lenses (even metal-built ones) are not sharp enough to scratch other lenses.</p>

• 4 months later...