40mm Nokton: Version II smooth focus?

kevin m.

I've recently tried out a 40mm Voigtlander Nokton SC and I'm pleased with the image quality, but the

focus is so stiff as to be nearly unuseable. Searching the archives, I see I have the first version of this lens

with the screws visible on the focusing cam.

Can this lens be fixed to make the focusing smooth, or does the "version 2" work any better?

I wonder if there is a "version 2" of the SC at all? I recall that the SC was a limited edition

lens, and unless they sold out the initial run, I don't know if they would have made an

improved version of the SC, as they did w/ the MC.

I think Kevin is referring to this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Blw9

If anyone owns the SC with the improved design, I'd be curious to know.

I've got the classic multi-coated. Pretty stiff but not unuseable. Love the lens but it does

not

get much use because of the stiff focus. What I noticed is if it is focused with any pressure

on the focus ring it worsens the problem. I bought it a few years ago. Back then I was

told it would "losen" up.

Other Voigts I have do not exhibit this problem.

I'd be interested to hear what Cameraquest has to say this time.

By the way, I am not being derogatory toward Cameraquest by any means. They give very

good service and I am about to purchase a new 50mm Heliar collapsible.

The version 2 (unofficial term) are definately smoother and more even focus on the MC versions.

My understanding is that because the SC proved more popular than expected that a second batch was made. It seems logical that this batch received the upgrade as well, although all the SC's I have seen have always been the first type.