40D: Weird colours

yakim_peled1

A few days ago I took this picture. The colours came out all weird and twisted. It is nothing like the actual colours.

It was an ordinary sunset, light blue sky, white clouds, yellow sun. I shot sunsets before with the same camera

and settings (RAW, AWB, converted it to JPEG without any PP save from crop) and it is the first time this has

happened to me.

Why has this happened? Why hasn't it happened before? What can I do to avoid it? What can I do to reproduce

it? I must admit I actually like the final outcome as it's very unique but I am not happy that things happen without

me knowing why.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.<div>00QxDv-73041584.jpg.64a7cfe5ba33c4b9b59a529717561386.jpg</div>

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What metering did you use? I think that the problem is that camera wanted to correctly expose sun and all the other

things are a lot underexposed. Also auto white balance wanted to correct orange color cast and changed colors to

colder. If you want to avoid it use manual white balance and meter on the sea water without sun in the frame add 2

stops and

then recompose. If you want to reproduce it use spot metering on the clouds around the sun and set white balance to

3300K.

2. Not much but auto WB uses correctly exposed part of the picture to set WB.

<br>3. You need to memorize values or carry a gray card with you. In your situation I'd use WB=5500K (daylight/flash color temperature) and you'd get nice, orange colors. I usually change white balance on computer later. Besides if you meter white balance from a gray card/something white you won't get orange sunset because everything will be corrected. That's why you need to use daylight setting.

2. I never knew that. Why and how?

3. I feel silly to ask but I never had to it, AWB worked well for more than a year. If you want to set MWB, don't you have to use a white card rather than a gray one?

But as I shoot in RAW, I guess I don't have to do it at all, right? I can always change it later if I please.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

2. I never knew that too but noticed it while taking pictures with few different light sources. The one I focus on and

which is correctly exposed also had correct WB.

<br>3. You can use both gray card and white card to set correct white balance.

<br><br>

Yes, if you shoot RAW you can change it later without image quality getting worse. You can correct .jpg pictures as

well if you have to but you won't be able to see color temperature values.

Hi Yakim, I`ve ask CPS for help on this issue with AWB, I believe 40d takes AWB from the inner circle around the center FP. hence the light object in the 1st shot, (not sure how it was cropped) would show differents from the previous. Most of our work is AWB in many venues each night. if we use a FP outside the inner curcle colour balance seems to be affected where the inner area is over. by stickin to center FP and a neutral tone colour is fine. mostly shoot jpeg tho

Cheers

PS still not heard from CPS but works OK so not bothered

-- "But as I shoot in RAW, I guess I don't have to do it at all, right? I can always change it later if I please. "

Yes, the only thing that might happen (and that depends on the raw converter you use) is, that the raw converter uses the values (for WB) generated by the camera as a default starting point. (DPP will do that, ACR (to my knownledge) can do that, but allows to switch that off). Anyhow, as soon as you set WB to your taste in the converter, the values from the camera become meaningless.

Guys, I thank you for the compliments. However, look at what I wrote in the OP: "I must admit I actually like the final outcome as it's very unique but I am not happy that things happen without me knowing why."

I'm now at home. I'll try to change the WB and post the results.

Happy shooting, Yakim.