40D Random blank images

dave_thomas8

Santa brought me an EOS 40D with an EF 24-70 f2.8L lens -- I should be

overjoyed. However, in my first foray yesterday, I had a number of instances

where the camera seemed to go through all the motions, but I wound up with a

plain black image. Today I put in a different CF card, formatted it and took

another string of shots, some on Auto some in P mode.

Out of 38 shots, 12 were blank, There is a file allocated, and in displaying

it, there is normal sounding EXIF data. It's as though either the sensor is

covered, or all 0s are being tranferred to the CF card.

Generally, if I see a blank result, pushing the button again will take another

shot that works, although I have had two blanks in a row a couple of times.

I have also seen an Err 99 at start-up, though not every time. I was able to

find another thread about that. My guess is these problems would have nothing

to do with the lens, but I have no other EOS/EF lenses to try, as I've

leapfrogged to this technology from an A-1 with FD lenses(!)

I reckon my next step is to contact B&H from whence it came, but I'm wondering

if anyone has seen anything like this?

(So far, my venerable A80 is winning the digital reliability race ...)

DaveT

No, most were without flash, mostly outdoors in daylight, 45 - 50 F temperatures.

It's software version 1.0.5 if anyone cares. Really weird. The images I get between blanks are great.

I've no near term travel plans, but it's a good reminder about why one shouldn't buy a camera three days before taking it on a major trip.

DaveT

<p>Just to be clear, you formatted the CF card in the 40D, right? Not in a computer or in some other camera? If the card was formatted elsewhere, reformat it in the 40D and try again. I've never had a problem like this regardless of whether I've formatted a card in the camera or in a PC, but it's always safest to format the card in the camera.</p>

<p>Does the camera make all the usual noises when this happens? Actually, let me alter that. Try using mirror lockup so that you can separate the sound of the mirror flipping up from the sound of the shutter. And I believe the 40D has an option that lets you keep the mirror up after the exposure is finished; if I'm right, turn that on, too, so that you can separate the sounds into three distinct events: mirror flipping up, shutter doing its thing, mirror flipping down. Now take a bunch of pictures until the problem occurs. Did the shutter sound normal for the shot that had the problem? A shutter that's failing to open could produce the symptoms you mention, and if you can separate the shutter sounds from the mirror sounds, you might be able to hear something different if the shutter isn't working properly.</p>

<p>The Error 99 is an interesting one given that this is a new camera with a Genuine Canon lens - but not unheard-of. Do all the usual Error 99 stuff - total reset à la Puppy Face, clean all lens/lensmount and battery/battery compartment contacts.</p>

<p>P.S. your Santa is better than mine. Mine didn't bring me any photo gear so I was left to my own devices to get my new lens for the year (the 24-105/4L IS USM). Can we trade Santas, by any chance?</p>

Yes, I did format the card in the camera -- in fact, I have now tried 3 cards. The last was a 512 MB I've been using in my A80. The noises and indications in the viewfinder seemed normal in the case of the blank frames. Since my earlier notes, I have tried the all batteries out bit, careful contact cleaning, etc. It actually seemed that each time I turned it on I got slightly different (but less than correct) behavior.

As I write, it is on its way back to NY for a replacement.

I should note B&H quite efficiently emailed a link to pick up a prepaid UPS label; I'm pleased with their response.

Ah well -- drawing blood on the cutting edge of technology. Hopefully in a year I will have hundreds of smashing images from trouble-free operation of its replacement.

And yes, my Santa is amazing, I'm keeping her! :-)

DaveT