40D on 26 September?

._._z

According to 'SuperPeter' on dpreview, a person who accurately pre-announced a

couple of Canon bodies as well as the specs on Sony's A100 body, Canon will

announce a model 40D at the end of this month. The specs <u><A href =

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&thread=19890732&page=1

>he claims</a></u> are: <p>

<i><blockquote>

> 1.6x 10M CMOS senor <br>

> Anti-dust feature <br>

> 2.5 inch LCD <br>

> 9 focus points <br>

> 5 fps <br>

> CF

</blockquote> </i>

Later on in this discussion thread, someone says: <p>

<i><blockquote> ...just visited Arpi, one of the best photgraphic stores in Spain. <p>

They already list the 40D with a price of 780euro, that's 10euro more that the 30D (body only). <p>

The camera is not in stock yet but they expect deliveries at the end of this month.

</blockquote> </i><p>

The specs allegedly leaked suggest that the 40D will be an incremental improvement over the 30D, adding just the anti-dust feature and a chip similar or identical to that in the XTi/400D. If true, I suspect this means that around the time Canon was working on releasing a successor to the 20D they had some difficulties maintaining quality or yields on a sensor chip with more MP, yet believed they needed to release a semi-pro body. Hence a stop-gap model 30D, with added features and speed but no increase in megapixels.

<i><blockquote> it seems that a 40D would violate the 18 month product cycle. That would suggest some sort of an upgrade to the 5D line as an alternative. Any rumors in that vein?

</blockquote> </i><p>

According to this 'SuperPeter,' also posting today, there's a lower-end 7D model coming next year, selling for around $2100

.[. Z: "According to this 'SuperPeter,' also posting today, there's a lower-end 7D model coming next year, selling for around $2100"

Hmmm, I wonder what the 7D would be? The only differences between the 30D and the 5D are full frame sensor, larger viewfinder and lack of flash on the 5D, and higher frame rate on the 30D. There's really "nothing" to take away from the 5D to produce a lower priced FF body, and if the alleged 7D isn't FF, what would be the point?

Use some imagination!

First. . .there is the rumoured 21 zone AF system. Couple that to a 10mp 30D. . .blammo. . .$2100 (hey. . .thats a lower end 1D-II)

Second . . .put a full frame sensor in a dRebel body. . .take out the flash.. . . blammo . . . $2100.

My money is on: A boring 40D (30D with 10mp dustproof sensor) early next year. ALSO. . a 1D-II replacement -> 1.3 crop with same pixel density as the new 40D/400D.

Jim: No one ever accused me of being over-imaginative!

I hadn't heard about the rumored 21-zone AF system. Must've missed that thread.

I don't think Canon will put a FF sensor in a Rebel body before they put one in an xxD body, but then again, "no one" thought they'd up the MP count in the dRebel line before the xxD.

My money's the same place yours is (near term product developments). I'm holding onto my cash while I wait to see what the 5D successor looks like.

Will Webster: "<If it isn't FF who cares?> There are a lot of tele shooters out there - sports and nature - who would line up to buy a 1.6x body with better AF and weather sealing."

Will: I don't see where anyone asked this question in this thread. I asked "If it isn't FF, what's the point?" so I'll take a stab at a response.

I was speculating about a theoretical 7D body positioned between the 30D and the 5D, which is where the product nomenclature suggests it would be positioned. Consequently, I was speculating on what mix of the features common and different between these bodies would make the most sense in its theoretical feature set.

Neither of these bodies has "better AF" or "weather sealing." So I didn't take these features into consideration. But you make a good point that these are desirable features, and a 30D-type body with these features would probably appeal to an even wider market than just "tele shooters."

I heard the 40D is a joint venture with photo.net. <p>

you can set your camera to output images with automatic ratings over 6/6 and every once in a while the camera will automatically generate a POW. <p>

unfortunately, most of the important menu items are buried under dozens of off topic posts, mostly of people bickering with each other about which lens to buy. if you switch the camera from raw to jpeg mode it actually calls you an idiot and tells you to go buy a point and shoot. <p>

Jon, I was reacting to - and slightly misquoting - the post before yours, actually. I guess I'm a bit fed up with the expressed attitude that there are FF cameras and consumer junk; nothing in between.

Your points are well taken. I guess what I'm looking for is more of a 4D than a 40D.

The 5D's body is certainly larger than the 20D/30D, even slightly larger than the 10D.

Maybe the 40D will have one of Lucas' new Picture Styles built-into it, something like a "PNET 6/6" generator, and also a "PNET POW" generator.

-Ken, still a fan of the APS-H sensor and cameras that can only shoot Raw.

The 40D will make for a bargain sports camera for the enthusiast. I'd rather avoid putting a 1.4x on my manual focus 400/2.8, which I would have to do with a full frame camera. The 10MP camera with no converter will be at least as sharp as the 1DsII with a converter. I'm already considering switching my 10D for the 400D for this reason. I'll wait to see if the 40D is real.