seem to think was appropriate (despite my nice selection of lenses). I'm now

feeling I've made a mistake in buying this camera and I'd really appreciate

some clarification as to why the 5D would, apparently, have been a better

choice for the work I could potentially end up doing. I understand the

technical differences between crop-bodies and FF, but why is one regarded

as 'less professional' than the other?

Regards

Lindsay

It's fine. Don't listen to too many "experts".

There are maybe a couple of reasons why the 5D is theoretically better for some types of work. You can get a little shallower depth of field using full frame and you can make larger prints without losing too much quality, but the 40D is just fine.

A good photographer with a 40D will outshoot an idiot with a 5D any day.

The next thing they'll be telling you is that you need something better than the 50/1.8 II for portrait work with your 40D, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

To some people, if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it just can't be any good. Try to avoid those people if you can.

I think you made a good choice, if you got the 5D you would have made a good choice

too. Both are excellent cameras and any good photographer can take great shots with

either. I also purchased a 40D and I plan to get a full frame camera when its the second

and third generation. I think for right now the 40D is a better buy.

I don't know what your tutor did but he/she is an idiot. A 50mm lens on a 40D is perfect

for portraits.

If you look at Ian's work ( alot of it with a 20D and prime lenses )

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=448226

I also know many pro photographers who use 20D's or 30D's with a Rebel XTi as a back

up so don't stress it, enjoy using the camera, its fast as hell and take amazing quality

shots.

"A good photographer with a 40D will outshoot an idiot with a 5D any day."

This gets my vote, for the quote of the decade.

Do you think it could also be said:

A good photographer with a Rebel XTi will outshoot an idiot with a 5D any day ?

What Bob said. Ask your tutor if he/she can tell you whether any given shot - without

telling him or her first - was taken with a full-frame camera or not. They wouldn't have a

clue and neither would anyone else. Unfortunately some people equate the cost of the

camera with the "professionalism" of its owner and that's nonsense.

No great pianist needs to play on a Steinway, nor every great guitarist on a Strat or Les

Paul.

They're basically saying that if you didn't have to take out a second mortgage you can't

possibly be serious about this and that's just way off base. If you like your camera that's

what counts the most.

Actually a good photographer with a decent P&S digicam will probably outshoot an idiot with any DSLR in most normal photographic situations. If you're shooting in virtually no light without flash or you need a 1200mm lens, then even an idiot with a DSLR has an advantage.

While the camera obviously matters to some extent, it doesn't matter nearly as much as who is using it when it comes to getting interesting and memorable images. The difference between a 40D and a 5D or even an XTi/XSi and a 5D is actually quite small in most areas and an almost insignificant factor in most photography.

You bought one of the best cameras out there. If you have good lenses (with lenshoods) then there's nothing else you need. Nobody would even notice the difference between 40D and 5D images. Who's watching large prints at distance of 25cm...

Thank you so much for your responses. I do feel better now. I just couldn't fathom the comments I got from more than one prospective tutor ...... such as being told I couldn't go into product/fashion shoots with the 40D, that I absolutely needed FF or MF. As Beau said, I was made to feel like a poor relation, and not somebody who was hoping to work her way up the photographic ladder.

Tommy, I agree with the speed issue. I had to shoot an over-active labrador the other day and the 5D would not have coped well.

Bob - I have the cheapo version of that lens - I think it was only about ?75, and it's one of my favourites!

I suspect that TS-E lenses (often used for product photography) were a little easier to use on a full frame body than on a crop one, but now that the 40D offers magnified live view to aid with setting them up I think that difficulty has been circumvented. A little demonstration of this would easily convince some sceptics. The only remaining disadvantage is that the 24mm doesn't offer a particularly wide angle of view on a crop body, should that be needed.

Hi Mark, yes I've actually started considering a 90mm TS lens for product work, but as you mentioned, I've found the idea a bit daunting. I've never even tried one, so I'm unsure if the benefit would make it worth the high outlay. I do think the live view feature comes in handy at times.

I think that the only objective way to do it is to examine the differences between the two - and then give a weight to how important those differenes are.

Some to consider are.

- 40D has a much larger screen

- 40D can shoot at twice the speed of the 5D

- 40D has 14 bit A/D converter

- 40D has Digic III processor

- 40D multiplies your focal lengths by 1.6

- 5D has slightly higher resolution

- 5D has a full frame sensor

- 5D has 1 stop better high-ISO performance

- 5D has brighter viewfinder

Some things to think about ...

Keep in mind that you won't spend 100% of your time testing the camera and validating reviews - no doubt you want to actually use it in the real-world. In reality there is no difference between 8MP and 10 MP. In reality the high-ISO performance of both cameras is more than adequate - as is the image quality.

I would suggest that the deciding factors - realisticaly - come down to things like:

- "Is full frame a blessing or a curse for the type of photography that you do" (if you're into long shooting then you'll need to buy a 600mm lens for the 5D whereas a much cheaper 400mm lens would provide the equivalent reach on the 40D. If you're a wide shooter then you can get a 10-22 EF-S lens for the 40D that will give you the same field of view as a 16-35mm on a 5D) (and 40D + 10-22 will cost you less than a 5D with a 16-35) (yes, there is a small difference in lens speed - is that significant for you?).

- 5D has a brighter view finder, but the 40D has a bigger screen - which do you value more? (personally, I find the latter more useful for evaluating images.)

- Would you use the much faster FPS of the 40D (my experience is YES - very much so - it's amazing how much expressions change in a fraction of a second).

In my opinion the 5D has been a wonderful "poor mans 1D" for several years, but now it's the "geriatric" of the upper-class digital camera world. Personally I can't think of any significant reasons to buy one over a 40D.

you have made a huge mistake. everyone knows you cannot take a good photograph or be recognized as a great-photographer unless you own a 5D Mark II .. to be announced any day now.

please ... do NOT take a photograph until it is announced. I implore you .. to wait patiently.

daniel taylor

Have you tried just getting out and doing something different mentor-less? Having a little

fun with the 40d could show what it (and you!) can do. It is a very good camera with

many toys on it as discussed above to learn about. Play and enjoy the images. I think

you're going to do just fine; maybe the student will be the teacher...

There are several good reasons to prefer a 5D over a 40D, but the best reason I can think of is cost. If you already have a good selection of EF mount glass that works best on a full frame camera, getting a 40D can cost you more than a 5D because you will want to supplement your collection with some wider lenses like the 10-22, and possibly the 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Also, for portraits you can get a little less DOF with the 5D.

Personally, I went with the 40D and don't regret it one bit. :)