40D and Infra-red photography

Hello

I've recently began using a 40D, so yes i'm not a very experienced digital SLR

user, yet! :-)

I've got much to learn about digital SLR photography, i admit, but i have seen and

greatly admired much landscape infra-red photography and so i am wondering if

my 40D can be used to take 'infra-red' pictures (or will it filter out IR?), and if it can

picture infra-red how am i best doing so?

If the answer is a straight no then no worries, i've got plenty of other creative

oppertunities to enjoy with my 40D (plus 17-85mm IS USM) i am sure! :-)

Looking forward to any replies. Much apprechiated in advance.

Donald

Ps - Any particularly recommended lenses for landscape &/or portrait work that's

good with the 40D?

Cheers.

your 17-85L is probably a great lens to start for both landscape and portrait photos. I wouldn't go purchasing anything else right away until you've truly outgrown your current, very capable lens.

As far as IR photography with the 40D, i honestly have no idea :)

Hi Donald, Almost all DSLRs - the 40D included - have a filter over the sensor that

filters out the infrared light spectrum. However, one can have this filter removed (or

DIY) by checking out a place like: http://www.lifepixel.com

However, I'd encourage you to *not* use a 40D for this, but rather an older, DSLR,

like a 10D or 20D. For one thing, taking the filter off voids the warranty, so it's best

to do when the warranty has already expired anyway.

You can also do a "software" infrared image, which just takes a regular DSLR image

and through a bit of hocus-pocus, renders a pretty darn believable IR image.

This month's issue of Photo Techniques has a great article on IR digital and you can

read a lot of what's in there - by the same author - here: http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/Infrared/index.html

I have a converted 10D and have encountered many of the issues he addresses -

like front/back focus and "hot spots" with certain lenses. It's a very good place to

start anyway. Good luck!

I bought a used Canon D60 and converted it to full-time infrared use. The older (and considerably cheaper) D60 works just great for landscapes as would a 10D.

You don't usually need high ISO capability, high speed turn on and fast reading to the CF card when you shoot landscapes.

However, I have mixed feelings about my conversion. Feelings which I never anticipated when I bought the D60 and had it converted.

Normally, I travel in a motor home so bringing some extra gear with me is no problem (within reason of course). However, I am flying to Alaska this summer and will be flying in a small bush plane when I am there.

I have been cutting the weight of my equipment mercilessly. I kind of wish that I had converted a nice P&S camera to full time IR. That way, the weight would be less and I could carry it in my vest pocket and always have IR available.

That said, I am going to fit in my converted D60 somehow. I am sure there will be lots of opportunities for IR landscapes in Alaska.

The camera seems to be capable of extended red photography although a bulb

exposure is necessary if the low-pass filter is left in place.

I took this shot with my dad's 40D, the 17-85 kit lens and a Kodak Wratten 89B gelatin

filter. Note that I was using a 3" filter with a rather clumsy frame/holder/stepping-ring

assembly that was not quite the same size as the front element of the lens, so the

slight vignetting is mechanical.<div>00PmJW-48213784.jpg.a11a47d9bed306448557fbe6ff298950.jpg</div>