40D/5D mk2

des adams

My 40D is currently being repaired under garantee .... error99. Still when it's working it's pretty niffty in

terms of the speed of it's AF.

I've been waiting for the new 5D so I can go full frame. From what I've read I believe that the 5D mk2 will not

give me any more resolution than my 40D. So would I be right in thinking that if I get the 5D mk2 I'll be

downgrading the the speed of the AF compared tor the 40D but will be able to make larger prints without

resizing?. Is that about it?

The 5DII is a 21mp camera vs 40D's 10mp. Why wouldn't it give you more resolution? Do you mean pixel density?

Do you make prints larger than 16X20?

<p>

<i>Somewhat surprisingly, Canon has not adopted the 40D/50D's AF system which, on paper, is superior, given that all nine of its AF points are cross-type. Canon USA's Westfall says the reason for that is the "6 Assist AF points plus center point were deemed to provide a higher level of performance for AI Servo AF than the center point-only arrangement of the [40D and] 50D." Given that we've previously found the overall autofocus performance of the 5D to be decent, while the 40D's tracking capability has been erratic at best, Canon has likely chosen the better of the two AF systems for the 5D Mark II.</i><br>

<a href=http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9316-9607>Rob Galbraith</a>

<p>

The main reason for upgrading is that the 5D is full frame. That should be your defining factor. Otherwise, the 2 bodies are probably more similar than different.

<p><br>

good luck.

>> So would I be right in thinking that if I get the 5D mk2 I'll be downgrading the the speed of the AF compared tor the 40D

If you are using the central AF point then both are cross-type and thus the 5D Mk II should be quicker as it has 6 additional AF points. However, if you are using the peripheral AF points then the 5D Mk II should be slower as it does not have cross-type AF points.

The above is true only if you use f/2.8 or faster lenses as with slower lenses all cross-type AF points revert to linear.

>> but will be able to make larger prints without resizing?

Absolutely.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I can't say my 5D center AF point focuses faster than my 40D AF point. Pretty much the same although I'm sure the 5DII

is bound to have tweaked AF and a faster CPU. Nevertheless, the 6 "invisible" AF assist points of the 5D are only active

during AI servo, and only if you enable via CF. They do nothing for one shot AF. And they don't really speed up AI servo

either. What they do is keep the subject locked longer providing for more keepers during AI servo than the 40D's AF array.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"I can't say my 5D center AF point focuses faster than my 40D AF point. Pretty much the same although I'm sure the 5DII is bound to have tweaked AF and a faster CPU. "

AF module has it's own controller chip or CPU which is different from D!GIC ASIC, the 5DII has exactly the same AF module so it is identical to 5D in terms of AF.

Thanks to you all for your responces.

The reason I asked this question is that I avoided buying the 5D and waited for the Mk2 to arrive because somewhere or other I've read that the original 5D was a little "sluggish" AF wise. Since I usually make "street" pictures I need fast AF. I will borrow a 5D and check it's AF out.

Unless I'm completely mistaken what I mean by "resolution" is this. With the 40D I can make a print at 300dpi without resampling at around A4 size. With the 5D mk2 I can do that to around 60cm x 40cm without resampling. However looking at both prints at their respective sizes one will not see any differance in "quality". They'll look the same.

Maybe I'd be better off with the D mk3.

The AF of 5D is good and in my opinion (some may differ), it is hands-down better than 40D.

However better AF (with more AF points spread across the frame) would have been a boon for many photographers. But Canon gave us HD Video instead:)

What can you say :)