400mm f3.5 focusing

steve_stark1

<p>This might sound like a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. I just purchased a Nikon 400mm f3.5 lens from Japan. It is in mint condition and appears to focus fine on my Nikon D300. I did noticed that it goes beyond infinity on the focus ring. Is this normal? If so, how far away does an object have to be to be in focus at this infinity + setting?</p>

<p>Yes, If I'm not mistaken, it's not unusual for long tele lenses to focus beyond infinity. I believe it has to do with the effect that temperature expansion/contraction can have on the lens, so that under certain conditions you don't lose the ability to focus to infinity.</p>

<p >I have a 300 F/4.5 ED, not the EDIF, the focuser on this old lens also goes beyond infinity mark.</p>

<p >The reason for this is to compensate for the effects of heat on the ED element.</p>

<p >Focusing this lens at infinity is very easy with my Nikon F2 because of its superb viewfinder but on DSLR’s, specially on non full frame models it is going to be difficult due to the crappy viewfinders that are really intended for autofocus applications.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Vahe</p>

<p>Thanks for everyone's responses. I have only tested it on my D300 so far but am very impressed. I can hardly wait to see the transparency film tests. This lens should come in very handy as I head to Montana and Yellowstone NP in 2 weeks. I agree that focusing is a little tough on the DSLR but didn't have any issues with my F2 or F3.</p>

<p>I have the same lens and use it on my D 300 and D 200. You should love the results. I use it mostly as a macro lens for frogs and dragon fly shots that are too far away for a normal macro lens. I just add Nikon extension tubes to it and fire away. It tends to be a little "front heavy" so you need a good ball head and lens plate to attach it to a tripod. Joe Smith</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mine focuses beyond the moon!<br />I guess that it's normal then ..see Bjorn's comment too.</p>

<p>Not happy with the lens on D200 (colour fringing/CA), reasonably happy with it on D300 (but, that's my wife's camera..), curious to see whether new FX camera's can revive the old film-days experience with this lens..</p>