4 Queens Redo Part 2 (Think I got it.)

MrAndMrsIzzy

How did the horizontal/diagonal line in the background between the blue and sandy-colored strips go from straight in the unedited scan to wavy in the edited one?

When you do post processing work, do you make universal changes as opposed to selective ones?

I think you seem to want to bring out the animals more with more contrast, so you darkened things. That causes the shadow to feel like it's gone too far and become a bit mucky and the tree trunks to feel pretty unnatural as well. Actually probably the whole thing got a little bit intense to where it feels processed. What about some other ways to bring out the animals, if that's what you want to do, aside from the darkening technique? The animals seem naturally a little bit camouflaged and it might be interesting, subtle, and challenging to work with that and at least consider a lighter rather than darker/deeper color palette.

"You talkin' to me?"

Actually probably the whole thing got a little bit intense to where it feels processed.

Agree.

Here's what I would do - crop the top (eliminate the blue area); the foreground plants don't bother me at all. Reduce contrast and lighten shadows a bit. Quite frankly, apart from the reduced resolution I liked the look of the original scan in the first post of your (4 Queens) and would have very subtly tried to push contrast and saturation there a little. As it is, every one of your processing attempts took things too far.

1624453570_1626314_a59f109a35835a4231f6aebc342884f4copy.jpg.343226f9e1865375176842d057ed99a0.jpg

• Like 1

While I understand that many would have difficulty with the strips of land and color in the background, to me, those situations are often ones that provide the potential for more unique and personal photos, ones that have something dynamic, unexpected, and offer a bit of something off kilter, especially in a photo that will never be of the typical wildlife character due to technical issues which offer more unconventional rather than traditional possibilities.

"You talkin' to me?"

Thank you.

"How did the horizontal/diagonal line in the background between the blue and sandy-colored strips go from straight in the unedited scan to wavy in the edited one?"

In the unedited scan, that line (as you noticed) slants down towards the right and disappears behind the trees at the right end. That I felt detracted (sort of like a crooked horizon line). The edit was to camouflage that slant to try and make it look less like a crooked horizon which it wasn't and more like a natural slope which it was.

Izzy From Brooklyn

Understand.

For me, the challenge (and reward) would be in seeking out and finding a way to keep it in where it didn't distract me but, instead, acted as an element that fit in with the way the whole was handled. If it wound up drawing my eye, I'd want it to move my eye in a way that wasn't distracting so much as it was curious or intriguing. I'd make the attempt with the knowledge that I might not get it to work but the will to do so.

"You talkin' to me?"

Izzy, I like the improved scan and I like the strips... they do add much to the photo. I also can appreciate your personnal touch to the 'horizon'. i think that there is another option that maintains the angle that plays well with the opposing angles. that i like very much.

I do prefer the uncropped version. My strongest reaction is the lack of attention given to the lighting which imo is loaded with potential. The matriarch, ( i know nothing about lions) has a natural highlighting that could be capitolized on & the intregal striping could be worked to enhance the lighting.

I think you are finding your way to a keeper ....

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

Agree.

Here's what I would do - crop the top (eliminate the blue area); the foreground plants don't bother me at all. Reduce contrast and lighten shadows a bit. Quite frankly, apart from the reduced resolution I liked the look of the original scan in the first post of your (4 Queens) and would have very subtly tried to push contrast and saturation there a little. As it is, every one of your processing attempts took things too far.

[ATTACH=full]1361732[/ATTACH]

Like your crop! When I was considering the -2 redo, it never occurred to me to crop out the blue area and I thought leaving those patches of greener vegetation in the lower foreground would result in too much foreground. Clearly (looking at your crop), I was wrong.

Lesson learned (or relearned as the case may be) = Just because I think it won't work doesn't mean it won't!!! Try it before committing.

Izzy From Brooklyn

Izzy, I like the improved scan and I like the strips... they do add much to the photo. I also can appreciate your personnal touch to the 'horizon'. i think that there is another option that maintains the angle that plays well with the opposing angles. that i like very much.

I do prefer the uncropped version. My strongest reaction is the lack of attention given to the lighting which imo is loaded with potential. The matriarch, ( i know nothing about lions) has a natural highlighting that could be capitolized on & the intregal striping could be worked to enhance the lighting.

I think you are finding your way to a keeper ....

Thank you. I have no doubt that at some point I may very well revisit this image, and do a -3 version or possibly even a -4 version. For the time being however it's simply going into the catalog for later reediting consideration.

Izzy From Brooklyn

"
I have no doubt that at some point I may very well revisit this image, and do a -3 version or possibly even a -4 version. For the time being however it's simply going into the catalog for later reediting consideration
."

Good call Izzy.

n e y e