35mm F2 AF

james_gallagher2

<p>I don't know if I'm allowed to do this and I'm sure it'll be promptly removed if not, but I've got one in mint cond. for sale in the classifieds here. I just bought a D5000 which doesn't have an autofocus motor and I'm going to buy the new 35mm f1.8 to replace it.</p>

<p>James, I totally understand your desire to buy new with a warranty, but you can get one used for about $130 less than B&H is asking. Maybe you can find a seller who has a recent model who will guarantee there is no oil on the blades ;-)</p>

<p>There seems to be shortages of many Nikon lenses for no obvious reasons?</p>

<p>Coincidentally I recently purchased a AF 35mm f2D for a paid shoot, but after testing returned my copy.<br>

The IQ of my AI'd Nikkor 35mm f2 O pleased me more than the AFD.</p>

<p>I'm guessing Nikon is going to release a AF-S f1.4 version shortly, and intend using my old lens for now.</p>

<p>Oil on the blades happens typically when the oil seeps out of the grease for the focusing helecoid. The oil will flow on the diaphragm blades and these will no longer open and close fast enough.</p>

<p>In general this happens to older lenses as the greases used on newer lenses are of a different composition and because of the increased use of plastics -also self greasing ones(teflon) - there is much less grease used.</p>

<p>If it happens it can be repaired by cleaning the blades with lighter fluid or similar volatile solvents that remove the oil form the blades. This is a relatively costly repair not for the parts needed but for the labour as most of the lens barrel needs to be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled.</p>

<p>For the older more mechanical lenses -think first gen AF, AI AIS - This is easier to do than with the newer more electronically involved lenses like the AFS, G-type lenses</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have been looking for this lens also and I did checked with Nikon through my employee purchase program at Ritz and they said it's currently in back order along with the 1.8 afs and it may take more than 3 weeks but did assure me that they will continue producing this lens because of the high demand from the FF owners. I also checked with the stores mentioned above but no luck. I went ahead and opted for the 24 2.8D for the meantime. </p>

<p>I bought a used 35mm f2 AF-D and it had the oil on the blades problem. By the time I got it back from repair, the price I paid plus the repair price, I could have bought a new one. I'd buy a new one at this point (in fact, I try to buy new lenses now in any case if they are AF).</p>

<p>I've got the 35mm/f2 D. I bought it s/hand recently fro Aperture Photographic near the British Museum in London. I'd heard of the 'oil on blades' issue but, s it comes with a 6 month warranty and I've boght other gear from Aperture (great guys) I had no qualms about handing over the money. It's now my 'go anywhere' lens. I love it.</p>

<p>As mentioned earlier, the old film lenses are very much back in vogue as a result of FX sensors (I got mine because I just bought the D700) but I already had the 24mm/f2.8, 50mm/f1.8 and 85mm/f1.8 to go with my F100. Now I have the best of both worlds and my wife has my 'old' D300 with 17-55mm/f2.8 and 70-300 VR.</p>

<p>I have noticed used prices of the 85mm f/1.4 have popped up, as well. I had a chance to buy one a while back at $700 and should have snapped it up, but the timing wasn't good. Now they're right around $1k.</p>

<p>My understanding was that the oil issue with the 35/2 was fixed somewhere around 2001. Mine was certainly perfect and several years old.</p>