35mm 1.4 for Weddings and Portrait Work

athena_aronow

<p>Hi Everyone. I'm in the market for a new lens and unfortunately can't afford two (or more!) at the time and am wavering between a few.... The canon 35mm 1.4 has caught my eye but I'm wondering opinions on this lens as a good lens for weddings or portraiture. ( I know, it depends on style/needs etc...) <br>

What I'm wondering is if folks might be able to post examples that they've shot with this lens, and perhaps your likes/dislikes. I know I should probably rent it and try it out for a few shoots- but your input would be (and always is) appreciated.<br>

Thank you!<br /><br />Athena </p>

On a full framed camera the 35mm lens is not a good choice for portraits. The people can look slightly distorted. With a cropped camera system the 35mm lens is about right for portraits. I don't have a cropped camera therefore I don't use the lens for portraits and don't have any examples.

<p>On the contrary, I think that the 35mm range is ideal for wedding work providing that your style suits it. I think it requires a photographer with a more journalistic style that's comfortable working with fixed lenses (think Leica M with a 35mm Summilux). It also requires a photographer who is willing to think outside the traditional box of "proper" focal length uses. For many shooters, the 35mm focal length has a more natural perspective and it is seen as a "wide-normal" lens.</p>

<p>I find it to be really great for getting-ready shots in dimly lit small spaces, and it's also great for group portrait work and environmental detail images. I use my Nikon 24-70 for most of these types of shots and find that I'm zoomed in the 32mm-40mm range the majority of the time. If Nikon made an FX 35mm f/1.4 AF-S lens, I'd be all over it. This is one area where Canon rules supreme (i.e. wide fast primes). True, the wider range can distort perspective a bit, but if used correctly it can lend some terrific images that have a more contemporary and edgy look. My second shooter just got the 35mm f/1.4 for his Canon and uses it a lot now in place of the wide zoom.</p>

<p>I dont use the 35 (on a full frame) for portraits of indivuals but I will use it for 90% of the wedding, including full length of the couple etc. Sticking to a set focal length helps me think for composition.</p>

<p>Like Bob said 35mm on a full frame maybe too wide specially for portraits, but if you are more into candids and editorial work like Keith implied then it's a good lense.<br>

<br /> Now, on a 1.6x crop body that lens ROCKS because it is sharp even at the edges and you are quite close to the 50mm traditional field of view.</p>

<p>What I like about a 35mm lens on a full-frame (approximately 24x36mm film or sensor) camera:</p>

<p>1. As long as you aren't right up on top of someone, the 35mm lens is the shortest lens that doesn't make people on the edges of the frame distort, making a 35mm nice for groups.</p>

<p>2. A 35mm lens yields modestly better DOF than the old event photographer favorite, the 50mm lens.</p>

<p>3. In a crowded room, you don't have to back up quite as much with a 35mm lens as a 50mm lens, so, for instance, you get fewer people walking in front of you when you're shooting.</p><div>00TzPR-156497584.jpg.77964b080a7a1b6a98ff34ff4890cc33.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...