350D or 400D

ads_ads

hello, im in the process of getting a DSLR, but torn between the EOS 350D or

400D. Im buying Canon as i already have a few EOS lenses plus a speelite.

does anyone have extensive expereince of both these cameras and can give me

some pointers on which one to go for. i have seen reviews on both these cameras

but have not seen user reviews who has used both of them. thanks.

I don't have a 400D but I have used a 350D for over two years. I would get the 400D if I

were buying a new crop sensor body. It seems to me that the new and upgraded features

taken collectively are worth the relatively small cost difference.

An exception would be if you are very cash starved and, should you spend a bit more on

the 400D, unable to get a decent lens. In other words, I think that given a choice between

a 350D and good glass versus a 400D and poor glass I would go for the 350D.

Good luck.

Dan

Yes.. . .the differences are small. But for the rough $100 price difference, I would go for the 400D.

1) Better sensor on the 400D. 10mp vs 8mp. OK. .not a HUGE difference. . .but a difference nonetheless.

2) The 400D has a better AF system. The 350D has the same AF system as the old 10D (which is basically the same as the Elan 7n). The 400D has the AF system of the 20D/30D. Supposedly a bit better low light sensativity. Better AF point arrangment. The center AF point also has higher sensativity when you have a F2.8 or fast lens installed.

But. . .the 350D is definately a fine camera. Get the 400D anyway. :)

Though, if money is an issue, the XT is cheaper. Personally, I bought a XT this Feb. One of the major things about the Xti that bothered me was the set-up of the LCD and info screen. The Xti now shows the Aperture and Shutter info on the large LCD. Which seems like a waste of battery life,though I believe it has a power save function, but it means having to press a button. I personally, like to be able to glance at the smaller non-color screen of the XT. This screen set-up and money, is one reason I went with the XT, instead of XTi. Amazon.com has the body only: a XT for about $500, and the XTi for about $700. That's $200 dollars to put towards a nicer lens. From what I hear, quality lenses are often more important than the camera body...

If you got money for the XTi and a nice lens (or if you already have a nice lens), then the XTi is probably the best bet. LCD set-up is a matter of personal preference.

Amol

Wow. Why is everyone so against the 10mp sensor?

All else being equal, isn't it obvious that 10mp is better than 8mp?

I have heard many whine about "smaller photo sites results in higher noise", but that argument has not been backed up by the facts in the dSLR arena. If anything. . noise performance has *improved* as the MP count has gone up.

So judging on image quality alone. . I would pick the XTi because of the 10mp sensor. More pixels means more than making bigger prints. It means you can crop more aggressively. It means you can more easily do digital blending. Clone stamping becomes easier.

Is 10mp more than you need? Heck. . .I heard the same arguments when the D60 came out at 6mp. Everyone was saying the 4mp on the 1D was already all you needed. . . .(Caveat: the 1D sensor did produce cleaner images than the D60)

Using this logic. . .I would suggest that the time has come that people can shoot jPEG instead of RAW. Since there is so many extra pixels. . compression becomes an option! (BTW: This is the logic I was forced to use when I bought my last P&S, which lacked RAW)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...