35 mm lens for Contax IIIa

AJG

<p>Do any of the Russian copies of the Zeiss Biogon 35 mm lens work on a Contax IIIa? I am getting a Contax IIIa body and can't justify the cash at the moment for the post war Zeiss that I know would fit. Thanks for any info.</p>

<p>You have to make sure that it is in the Kiev/Contax mount, of course, since many of these lenses were made in all kinds of mounts (LTM, etc.).<br /> At least the Jupiter-12 35mm f/2.8 works fine on my rare, all-black "Contax II". If the IIIA has the same mount as the pre-war Contaxes, it should work OK.</p><div>00bIHJ-516847584.jpg.08674740f2ab2c491362dc95550010b1.jpg</div>

<p>No, I'm afraid they don't on my 1950's vintage Contax IIa which, i believe, is the same camera as yours minus the meter. The rear element of the Russian lens hits an internal baffle and will not mount. You need a post war Zeiss lens. As JDM points out, they will however fit the Russian Contax copies or, as I understand, pre-war Contax bodies. </p>

<p>It may be worthwhile contacting cameraquest.com to see if their Contax-Nikon RF mount 35mm f2.5 Voigtlander-Cosina lens (449$, discontinued and only a few left) will fit your IIIa Contax lens mount and RF coupling. I have this lens in Leica LTM mount, and like its performance. It is expensive, but of modern design.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you know if any of the RF 35 mm Nikkors would fit a IIa/IIIa?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Some of the Nikkors will mount correctly on the Contax, however there are slight but important differences (which elude me at this moment) that causes focusing inaccuracies with that combination. So while they will fit they are not recommended.</p>

<p>While the Zeiss Distagons are very expensive, a user Biogon might fit into your budget.</p>

<p>Andrew: The 3.5cm/2.5 W-Nikkor is a fine lens & fits the IIa/IIIa (look for the earlier chrome version as it's cheaper). The legendary 3.5cm/1.8 W-Nikkor fits a IIa/IIIa as well, but is also more expensive. There is a difference between the Nikon RF & Contax mounts, but it has a negligible effect when using wides, especially a slower wide like the f/2.5 (though I have also had success using the f/1.8 wide open on a IIa).</p>

<p>Louis: I don't believe there were any Distagons made in Contax RF mount, only Contarex.</p>

<p>Andrew<br>

Look for the 3.5cm Nikkor F2.5. I have several I use with both Nikon SP and Contax IIA. You'll be happy with either the chrome or the black version. The difference in measurement of the lens to the film plane is negligible for the wide angle, it only starts to be a concern 50mm and longer (when using a Nikon "S" mount lens on a Contax). The lens is fairly common and it is very good. Other than the fact it is F2.5 and not F2, I find results similar to my 35mm F1.8.</p>

• 2 weeks later...