35-70mm f2.8 'macro' mode

mark liddell

<p>I have recently bought this lens and can't work out how the macro mode works, info on the net is sparse.</p><p>I realise the performance in this mode isn't great but I'm more concered it is somehow set and could be affecting the normal performance. At 35mm the lens is good from f3.2 onwards, at 50mm in outperforms my f1.8 prime at the corners(!) but at 60 and 70mm performance is poor all over, stopping down helps but even at f4 the corners are pretty bad.</p>

<p>The macro mode of the 35-70/2.8 is nothing more than an extension of the internal focusing helix. You set the focal length to 35mm, push the little silver button and twist the macro collar (to the left, I think). It's pretty much foolproof.</p>

<p>If you aren't using a tripod, camera shake will affect the performance of this lens, particularly at longer lengths. Don't test the lens closer than about 15', and refocus between test shots. Make sure the test target is flat and parallel to the camera.</p>

<p>Yeah! Zoom out to 35 mm and push the silver button then twist left! you can only use the macro (close up option at 35 mm) In my case, at first the AF won't work and I have to focus manually but after it focuses the first time then the AF kicks in and works.... bits me! also I haven't compared this lens with my 50 and others but I was happy with its performance at any length! It is a very sharp lens.... I think I have better lenses that my 35-70 now so I don't use it but my little kid is having fun with it. </p>

<p>Ditto the tips above for setting it to macro mode. With lens facing away from you, slide zoom to 35mm, press metal button, twist entire zoom ring to left. Done.</p>

<p>Both the zoom ring and focus ring can be used to finesse magnification and focus. Macro mode is the only time this lens's zoom ring actually turns. You may also notice a peculiar quirk: up 'til the halfway point in twisting the zoom ring in macro mode, AF will be retained. At full twist, to the stop marked "M", AF is disabled. So you may be able to get some autofocus convenience, but not at maximum magnification. I seem to recall other users reporting different experiences with theirs so you'll need to check your own to see whether it works this way.</p>

<p>The 35-70/2.8 AF is a gem, but macro photography isn't really its forte. You're limited to 35mm only and there's a lot of barrel distortion. But it's sharp and perfectly suitable for casual use on three dimensional objects so it's fine for casual closeups.</p>

<p>I haven't checked to see whether the bellows effect with most macro lenses also applies to the 35-70/2.8 in macro mode. Usually the bellows effect will result in a loss of effective maximum aperture, but I'm not sure this zoom extends enough to create this problem.</p>

<p>Regarding overall performance, I suppose it varies a bit between samples. Mine seems sharpest at 70mm, less so at 35mm tho' it's never bad. Overall, it's a dandy. Might be interesting to see whether Nikon considers an AF-S G version to round out the FX lineup. D700 owners might find it a cost effective alternative to the pricey 24-70/2.8, since 35mm is a true wide angle again on FX cameras.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, simple when you know how!</p>

<p>I'm using it on the D700 as an alternative to the crazily priced 24-70mm. I just re-ran some tests and again performance at 35mm and 50mm is very impressive but at 60 and 70mm it takes f5.6 before the corners get sharp, the centre is pretty decent away from f2.8 though.</p>

<p>I'll be using this handheld at weddings so I won't worry too much but will switch to my 85mm for formals and avoid the long end if I ever use it for landscapes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm using it on the D700 as an alternative to the crazily priced 24-70mm.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Badda-bing! I had a feeling the 35-70/2.8 AF would regain its appeal once Nikon produced an affordable FX dSLR. Be interesting to see if they offer an upgraded version.</p>

<p>The macro mode will be handy for handheld closeups of table settings, the rings, that sort of thing. It's good enough for those.</p>

<p>I recently sold my 35-70mm 2.8. I didn't do much macro work but found the macro feature to be a lot of fun. It actually sparked my interest into possibly buying a dedicated macro lens. (all of the macro shots in my portfolio are done w/ the 35-70mm on a D300) </p>

<p>I was using it on a D300 which isn't ideal for that lens, but I got mine for free (in mint condition). I got offers from a couple D700 users I know for this lens which made me wonder what it was worth now. I needed cash to buy another lens that was more useful to me so I put mine on Ebay and I was amazed at how many bids I got. So yea the D700 has definately rekindeled interest in this lens. <br>

If or when I get a D700 I'll likely buy another copy because that lens is great.</p>