35/1.4 in stock at B&H

ilkka_nissila

The 35mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor is my favorite lens on my film cameras, but I have not loaded a roll of film in some time now. My DSLR does not meter with AIS lenses, so I have been using the 35mm f/2.0 AF as my "always-on-the-camera" lens. Just yesterday, the lack of that extra stop made its limitation known.

While looking at the metered f/2.0 @ 1/20th for a subject that I did not wish to use a high ISO for, all I could think was that I'd kill for that f/1.4. As soon as I get a metering (with AIS lenses) DSLR my 20 year old 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor will be back in the front of the line as my most used lens.

I've owned four Nikon 35mm lenses over the years. Currently I have none. With film, it's a pretty good focal length. The f2 AI and AIS were my favorites. I've never owned the f1.4 version because of the high price. Even beat to crap 1.4's are now selling for more than $200. With a digital SLR it's a pretty poor focal length, I prefer mounting my AIS 28mm f2.8 instead. I can think of a lot of other lenses I'd rather have for $700. Like the new Tokina 16-50mm f2.8 zoom!

Harvey, I suspect the rear element is so large that the contacts are tough to put in there. Maybe. The 28/1.4 is a lot more complex design I think. And the 28/1.4 is so expensive the 35/1.4 feels quite affordable.

I think 35mm is great on DX. I prefer 28mm and 50mm on FX, but the f/1.4 is tempting.

I would expect Nikon to come up with an AF-S replacement for the 28mm and 35mm f/1.4 now that the D3 is out.

Vivek, I bet the 35/1.4 Ai vignettes less on the D3 than the 30/1.4 does! :-) To me the 35/1.4 is very tempting.

Fredrik, yes, I am sure that new designs will be G. Compatibility seems to be of secondary importance to Nikon at this time. Nikon's DSLR business is bigger than Nikon's film camera business ever was. Aperture rings are apparently not among the things the majority of Nikon's customers want to use. Even though I dislike the G design, I don't use the aperture ring any more even on my D lenses.

<i>I bet the 35/1.4 Ai vignettes less on the D3 than the 30/1.4 does! :-)</i>

<p>

Email me your address with shipping charges and I will let you check my sample (you will have to get it AId) for free. If you like it for whatever reason, it is yours. Even if you do not like it, you can have it. :)