3200 scans have much more grain than prints?

joemoree

I had an HP 4200 scanner, and it was pretty good except for b&w prints. The grain even on FP4+ prints would always come out exagerated and foul looking. Nothing I did with settings made much difference, and it didn't work properly when I switched to Win XP. Away it went, and I got an Epson 4490. The difference is amazing. Grain looks like grain and overall scan quality is excellent. The Epson software is also fantastic compared to the goofy and time wasting HP "intelligent scanning technology" nonsense.

It's not true that desktop scanners always exaggerate grain.

Nikon V doesn't exaggerate grain *at all* using Vuescan (and you can even reduce grain while keeping it sharp)...

My old Epson 3200 didn't exaggerate grain *at all* with Epson's scanning application or with the bundled version of Silverfast.

I assume you're scanning the negative.

Try turning off any sharpening or grain reduction or any other automagic thingies.

Try scanning at the highest resolution (say around 2400 or above) and then scale the image down in your image editor.

I've not had much problem scanning a variety of B+W film, from ISO25 to ISO1600.

Paul

Are you sure it's not "grain aliasing" that you're seeing?

First, realize that the grain pattern you see is really grain clumping, not the actual silver halide grains. When a scanner is resolving significantly below being able to resolve the grain clumps, you may get a smooth, less "grainy" (and less sharp) image in which the scanner noise becomes the limiting factor. Sort of like using Microdol-X.

If the scanner resolution is well above the grain clumping, it clearly resolves it for what it is.

But when a scanner's resolution is right at the edge (or just below) of being able to resolve the grain clumps distinctly--kind of a resolution Twilight Zone--it produces an aliasing effect that exaggerates the grain appearance. It optically joins grain clumps to form larger clumps, not being able to resolve quite finely enough to distinguish them. The answer, then, is to either go to much higher scan resolution, or loser resolution.