305 G-Claron

joel_sackett

I recently acquired a 305 G-Claron as part of a Zone VI enlarger set-

up. Its in a Copal #1 and the proper Zone VI mount for 8X10

enlargement. I have no immediate plans to use it as an enlarger lens

and was thinking I might use it on a Master Tech for portraits and as

a long lens for rural and suburban landscapes. Is this lens better

at some distances than others, or is it a good all around performer?

Joel: This is a fine lens and will cover 8X10 with a ton of movement. The proverbial advice (also given by Schneider) is to stop it down to at least f:22 if you are not using it for close ups, though in my experience that doesn't seem to be the case.

G Claron lenses are optimized for 1:1 mag ratios and presuamby work best at that distance or something close to it. But they also work well as general purpose lenses to infinity. Stop down to F22 or smaller. I don't have the 305 but I have the 150 and 210. Both are excellent lenses. Ron Wisner is a big fan of G Clarons and he certainly knows a thing or two about lenses.

Joel: the G-Clarons are the best all-around lenses i've used in over 30 years in 4X5 LF photography. At present I own/use a 150 and a 305. I use them for most of the stuff I do, especially macro work. One thing I don't use them for is portrait work: they're just too sharp/contrasty; quite unflattering for most human subjects. You will almost certainly enjoy using the 305.

--Jim McBride

Thanks Joerg. I have heard that the numbers given in the spec sheets aren't always relevant. I just found the specs for the

3 lenses at f22 and infinity:

G-Claron 305 6L/4G 64¡ 381mm 460g

Fujinon C 300 4L/4G 66¡ 380mm 250g

Nikkor M 300 4L/3G 57¡ 325mm 290g

The construction of the G-Claron with 6 lenses is probably what produces a larger image circle. It probably exceeds the

number given by Schneider as some mentioned. An interesting thing with the Fujinon is that it uses no glued elements, a

good point for contrast and color and probably the best of all 3 for 4x5". I have a repro mount 305 G-Claron and I swapped

the lens elements with the Fujinon to give it a trial. It is very sharp. Schneider say that it must be closed at least at f22 to

compensate for it's 1:1 optimization when it is used at infinity; this isn't a problem for it is the normal shooting aperture

for this focal length anyway.