300mm on Linohf Technika III

francesco_palombi

<p>Francesco, I do not believe so. And I can't think of a compact 300mm that would fit a smaller shutter. There is the Nikkor 360mm in a #1 shutter, but it's a chunk of a lens and may not give you the coverage or movement you might want. And another point: I think the Technika III barely gives you enough bellow length for this lens at infinity (maybe something like 450mm, but not a lot to work with a closer distances).</p>

<p><em>I think the Technika III barely gives you enough bellow length for this lens at infinity (maybe something like 450mm, but not a lot to work with a closer distances).</em><br>

Like most technical cameras, the Technika III has triple-extension bellows (450 mm). In accordance with the formula<br>

1/u + 1/v = 1/f<br>

where<br>

u = Subject distance, v = Image distance and f = Focal length<br>

450 mm extension will focus a 300 mm lens to 900 mm.</p>

<p>Hi Francesco,<br>

not sure for Copal 3, but I have a Tele Xenar 360 in Compound 3 (I think the Copal 3 has comparable dimensions) that works on my Tech III.<br />It came on a Tech IV board with a kind of plastic distance ring/extension tube (ca.6 mm). I made a Tech III board from raw electronic pcb material and had no problems mounting the lens with the distance ring.<br />Without the ring the shutter would sit flat on the board and hit the thick vertical edges of the Techs lens mount wich would made mounting impossible.<br>

Greetings Waldemar</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the advices.<br /> I think I definitely go for a f.9 #1 shutter, now i've just to find a good and not so expensive one. I think I would like to spend no more than 400usd.<br /> I've never used long lenses, and i've no so much experience with the 4x5 camera.<br /> I need this long lens for 1:1 ratio shots and some of them with studio lights or flash.<br /> Do you think a 300mm is it a good lens to do that?<br /> Do you think I would have problems with the bellow somehow?</p>

<p>Thanks so much</p>

<p>Francesco</p>

<p>If you really want a long lens then this<br>

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/tele-xenar/data/5,5-360mm.htm<br>

has a flange focal length of only 214mm, which means you could get the two-focal-length extension you need for 1:1 (428mm) with a Linhof Technika. However, for 1:1 work, assuming you can get close enough, most people's #1 choice would be a symmetrical lens of 150 or 180mm focal length, like a Schneider Symmar/Symmar-S.</p>

<p>A Tele Xenar isn't good for anything greater than 1:10. As David said, a symmetrical lens is a lot better. With this, your Tech III bellows limits the max. focal length to 180mm for 1:1. My advise: If you have a Componon 135 or 150mm as an enlarging lens, take it as a macro on your tech. Unscrew the lens cells from the barrel and screw them in a #0 shutter. They will fit perfect. And for > 1:1 it's easy to reverse the lens, because both sides of the shutter have the same lens thread. Schneider sold the Componons also in shutters, you will find some threads about this in this forum. Use a lens shade, the coating of the Componon isn't the best.<br>

Greetings Waldemar</p>

<p>Francesco, have you considered a 305mm G-Claron? I use a 240mm on my Technika III. <a href="../large-format-photography-forum/00YOi1"><strong>Here is a thread</strong></a>, which also links to an earlier discussion. I use my G-Clarons, the 240 and 150 without shutters.</p><div>00Zy4m-439337584.jpg.542b5ad6f1a121e0acd5dd4d1cbf5312.jpg</div>