300mm APO Symmar vs 360mm APO Symmar

czphotos

<p> I'm wanting to know what lens would be better for a tight head and shoulder shot. I realize both are heavy and large. Will only be used for indoor portraits with flash on a 4x5 camera. On a 6x6 medium format I liked the results of a 200mm. I like the more compressed image. I have 395mm of bellows but can add extensions if necessary. I get about f32 with 100 ASA out of my flash units. So I'm trying to decide between 300mm APO Symmar vs 360mm APO Symmar. Naturally both are used.</p>

<p>claude,<br>

i believe the 300mm is already on the limit of making a head shot look flat. i have a 300mm symmar-s and have done a few tight head shot portraits and compared them to a 210mm. to me the 210 gives me a more 3 dimensional feeling which i prefer. have you seen 4x5 shots that you like so that you are in favour of these focal lengths?<br>

have you looked at a 240?</p>

<p>Either should give you what you want. I sometimes use a 300 for 4x5 to get in close without intimidating the model, 360 seems like a bit too much. I have owned the 360 Apo Symmar and still have the 480 (which won't physically fit in most 4x5 field cameras). Both are very good. The Rodenstock S appears sharper, but does not have as good a tonality and lacks the coverage of the Schneiders.</p>