300D M A C R O power!

aaron_beck

not a question but anyway:

if you have an eos 300d kit you have a powerfull macro lens,

the quality of which rivals the mpe-65! when reversed the ef-s

18-55mm becomes a 1x to 4x macro zoom. check out my homemade

reverse adapter below, a fraction of the cost of the novoflex.

and all you need to carry around are two little rings!

[i haven't included the reversing ring that you screw into the

front of the lens to mount it on the adapter, i used a modified

bodycap glued to a filter with no glass...]

check out my images for the results.

if you try this i recomend the following settings:

diffraction affects image quality as you get towards the

18mm [4x] end.

so for 55mm,[1x] f20 gives good sharp images

f11 for 35mm

f8 for 18mm

cheers,

aaron.

the extension tube has exposed pins to connect the contacts when used normally. so a coiled cable with the correct amount of contacts was soldered on to these. the cable was run through a hole drilled in the side of the tube. the other end has gold pins inserted through the cap in the right position, and soldered to the corresponding wires.

i covered the exposed pins with a bit off the bottom of a coke can.

everything has been coverd with a healthy dose of araldite...

it's rugged, looks good, and works perfectly. i can't recommend doing something like this enough, it works so well. good luck.

very nice idea, as posted above, we would love to see it on the camera. would love to learn more and see more photos in your portfolio. took the liberty to resize the picture and posting it again so its inline with the thread.<div>007mKz-17190184.jpg.61d9635ce02ab21e6a9f8d0aff1de852.jpg</div>

Guy,guys,guys!

<br>Remember you don't NEED to have the aperture connection.You just set the aperture you want,hit the DOF button and remove the lens.-It will stay at the aperture you have chosen.

<br>Make up a super cheap reverse adapter with a body cap and a filter step up ring and just use the lens reversed without any electrical connection(set the camera to 'P' and it will sellect the shutter speed it wants.<P>

Not that i'm trying to talk anyone out of doing it 'properly'.

<br>Very nice job aaron.My brother made a variable extension tube for eos once but could never make all those pins line up good enough....

The other way to do this of course is to pick up any lens with a manually operated aperture, for example many Pentax screw mount lenses. Once the lens is reversed, the EOS body doesn't care if it's an EOS lens or not. You can often find such lenses selling for under $20 since there's not a lot of demand for them these days and they were made by the million in the 60s.

ever tried to focus on a moving spider with a manual aperture reversed lens set at f16?

he he he

it gets pretty fuckin dark!

i highly recomend making the effort to build an adapter [or get one built, try your local electrical engineer, this kind of thing is a piece of cake for them...] or buy the novoflex...

you can focus and frame with the lens wide open, and the camera can do everything automatically. it even wants to auto focus [which is a pain in the ass, but in MF the focus indicators in the view finders light up when focus is achieved - which is pretty cool]

another thing is E-TTL flash, which i have found doesn't work with a standard non-connected reversed lens. and the 300d doesn't have exposure compensation... the built in flash exposes properly, but use any other flash and you get underexposed images, which you can do nothing about.

as for a step by step.... you just need to buy the bits and take them to an electrical engineer, they have all the necessary tools... good luck! it's worth it!<div>007mNj-17191484.jpg.3a86d824df303a508e5f180cc238b802.jpg</div>

That's some pretty nifty modding! Looks like drills and solderin' is in order. I wish I had the patience for such things like in the school days. :-P

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be resorting to some pretty frustrating aperture changes and dark dark focusing experiences. And ooh, have I been through those!

The part with the red dot goes on the camera and the lens goes onto that facing backwards.<BR>That part should have threads on it but they must be too small/dark to see.So the filter threads on the front of the lens just match up with them.

<BR>The old lens cap part reaches 'round and fits to the rear of the lens (which is now facing to the front).

<br>It all looks abit dodgey in use but it works well

here's it mounted. goes like this:

CAMERA BODY - REVERSE APAPTER [extension tube end] - REVERSING RING - LENS - REVERSE ADAPTER [lens cap end]

voila...

i haven't included my flash rig which consists of a 220EX on a manfroto micro ball-head, on a plate which attaches to the cameras tripod mount. works a treat with a piece of tracing paper slipped inbetween the lens and the end cap of the reverser to act as a diffuser.

cheers,

aaron.

• 9 months later...

Nice thread and smart invention (I've discovered it after I had made yet my not-connected adapter ring). All related issues have been mentioned, so I only can add my experience with 18-55mm reversed lens using natural light instead of flash. I've set f22 before reversing, and shooting at 1/80 Tv priority, handheld, ISO 800 (direct sunlight), noise reduction needed. Results are quite fine, but I'll try next with a 50mm or 28mm reversed lens, because 18-55 shows some extent of chromatic aberration at this magnification ratio. However, the quality for web uploading is good enough (I attach an example).

Best regards :)<div>00AlpE-21360184.jpg.5012d5073c9900af56584cfedf1c5510.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

amazing job, Aaron!

yesterday I started to build something like this, and I hadn?t even seen this thread!

I was having a huge problem with the contacts on the front of the reversed lens (its "normal" base...), and now I have an answer, thanks to you! hehe

congratulations!

cheers!

lucas