300 F2.8 TAMRON INTERNAL FOCUS LD SP

michael_bradtke

I owned one of these and used it in motorsport photography for at least two years. It was an improvement over my 300/4.5 Nikkor, in part because its max aperture made it easier to focus. I thought it was built well. Optically, it was pretty good even wide open. I traded it for a 300/2.8 Nikkor which basically the Tamron on the trailer, the Nikkor being substantially sharper. Hope this helps.

Mike Farley

How much is this Tamron lens? AFAIK, used 300mm/f2.8 even with AF-S have depreciated quite a bit, perhaps as a result of the new VR version. I think a used 300mm/f2.8 AF-S is now in the $2000+ range. Obviously that is still expensive, but it makes less sense to buy 3rd party.

Shun

It is $650 in EX condition at KEH.

I am wondering if it will be as sharp as my Nikon 80-200 2.8D (two touch)at 2.8

For what I am going to be shooting I do not need the AFS.

Dressage is not known as a speed event.

I may just go ahead and get it. I have 14 days to try it out.

Michael

Their description says "film only". Sometimes this means the lens will not work on the up to date electronics of the latest DSLRs. You should ask them and see what they mean. The original Tamron 300/2.8 was extremely popular for many years and is likely the next best thing to a Nikon. The Nikon would be vastly superior to your 80-200 so the Tamron is probably somewhere in between.

If you don't even need AF, there are AI-S and early screw-driver AF versions of the Nikkor 300mm/f2.8. I would imagine those version are quite affordable too given the relatively low price for the AF-S. You'll have more confidence about the quality of those formerly high-end Nikon lenses.

One general advantage of used Nikon vs. 3rd-parth lenses is that Nikon lenses tend to hold their value better. However, those old versions have to be in low demand so that should you want to sell it later on, you'll probably have difficulty just like selling the Tamron version.

I have a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 and just picked up a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-S. The Nikon is quite a bit bigger especially with the hood. The Nikon has better optics and AF speed, but I'm thinking of keeping the smaller Sigma for places I want the reach, but don't want to scre people. Just a thought...

Petrana

The lens I am looking at does not come with a TC. If you look on Tamrons web site they tell you what it comes with.

Shun

I do not buy my equipment looking to resell. I buy my equipment to use.

I have a Tamron 14mm that is better optically then the Nikon. I know because I tested the two of them side by side before I made my choice.

I did not say that I don't need AF for what I do I just done need AF-S.

It would be nice but they only thing in my budget with AF-S is the Nikon 300 f/4. And I know that f/4 is not going to give me the shallow DOF that I want.

John Crow

I think that they say "film only" because Tamron doers make some lenses that are for digital only.But your suggestion is a good one and I will call them.

John Irving

I would hope that a Nikon AF-S lens would focus faster then a non AF-S lens no matter who makes it.

Thanks for the input folks.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
Little late replying here, but I talked to Tamron today and these lenses usually require an AF upgrade to work with digital cameras. Cost of the upgrade and a full service is about $350. A bit steep, but then for under $1000 you have a fully functioning, serviced, quality fast aperture AF 300mm lens.

• 6 months later...
I know I'm late in the discussion, but for what its worth, I bought a Tamron 300mm f2.8 IFLD SP manual focus lens a number of years ago specifically to photograph aeroplanes (ground to air). The only reason for this was that the Nikon 300mm f2.8 IFED manual focus was no longer available (or any other manual long focal length for that matter). The Tamron was a little short in focal length for what I wanted so I added a Nikon TC201 or a Nikon TC14A as the occasion required. (The TC301 and the TC14B do not fit due to incompatable internal dimensions). I'm very happy with the results mounted on a monopod with a motor drive Nikon. Now in the aftermath of 9/11 - just keep well away from those secure areas as the assembled contraption can easily be mistaken by the shoot first (and not with cameras) and ask questions later people.