3/8" tripod socket for Hasselblad V

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by kelly_grider, Jan 5, 2009.

  1. Does anyone know where else beside Hasselblad USA I can look for a 3/8" tripod socket for my Hasselblad 201F? Hasselblad USA doesn't have these and I'm wanting to switch out the socket beneath my quick coupling plate. Any suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Kelly Grider
  2. Send David Odess an email and ask.
    I have a 1/4 to 3/8 Manfrotto adapter, circular and 1/2" thick, 2.5" dia, that works but is not worthy of a Hasselblad except for an emergency.
  3. Thanks for you suggestion, but I reached out to David Odess already and he doesn't have the socket. I think it may be a hard thing to find.
  4. How handy are you? I've made numerous ones out of 3/8-16 brass threaded rod, a drill and taps. Alternately, one can find threaded inserts for the machining trade with standard ID and OD threads as well. (try McMaster-Carr)
  5. The 3/8-16 tripod socket was a long-time standard in Europe. I don't know the present status. You could try contacting Hasselblad in Sweden via email. Older Hasselblad cameras (my 500cm, for example), have a plate with both 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 tapped holes. Otherwise, it would be fairly simple for a machine shop (or you) to drill out the 1/4-20 hole in the existing plate and re-tap it for 3/8-16.
    That said, is this trip really necessary? What do you need to attach that requires the larger hole? Are there alternatives?
  6. You can buy them pretty easily from a Bogen or Manfrotto tripod dealer. I bought my last ones from BH Photo and even a local dealer in Portland. I'm sure anyone could order them for you if they don't have them in stock.
  7. Michael, you need to read more carefully.
    The "easy" ones to get are reducer bushings for 3/8-16 holes. Kelly has a 1/4-20 mounting hole and is looking for something larger. The Hasselblad mount is a flat plate under the Hasselblad Quick-Mount which can be exchanged by removing four screws. The only external adapter is made by Bogen/Manfrotto, and is a disk 1/2 inch thick and over 2" in diameter, with a 1/4-20 stud on the top and a 3/8-16 hole on the bottom.
  8. Why not get the Hasselblad tripod quick coupling mount that has a 3/8 screw hole in the bottom?
  9. Thank you all for your suggestions. I need to change the socket in the body of my camera in order to use the pistol grip I have. I use the quick coupling plate for mounting on a tripod. I thought this would be an easy thing to get hold of, but most people in the USA are switching from the 3/8", not to it, as is my case.
    Thanks again.

Share This Page