3 / 3 Raters, If You Can Spare A Minute...

<p><br />When you dish out a 3 / 3 you mean:<br /><br /><br />1) The image scores 3 / 7 in your view. In other words it's slightly less than mediocre.</p>

<p>2) Since ratings of 1 and 2 are not counted, the image scores 1 / 5 in your view. In other words it's the quintessence of point and shoot rubbish.</p>

<p>3) Something else.<br /><br /><br />Thanks,</p>

<p>Cal</p>

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>"1) The image scores 3 / 7 in your view. In other words it's <em>slightly less than mediocre</em> ."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. Your math is bad. '3' is "below average". Look at the radio buttons in the rating interface. '4' is AVG (average). '4' is the mid-point between 1 and 7. Therefore '3' means below average.</p>

<p>"Mediocre" would qualify for a '2' or lower score.</p>

<p>A more pointed question might be <em>"Why can't some people accept that someone else might think a photo scores "below average" given the standards of high quality work uploaded to this site"</em> ?</p>

<p>Shouldn't that be:</p>

<p>When you dish out a 3 / 3 you mean:</p>

<p>1) Since I'm a clueless beginner who's lived in a cave all my life, I can't tell the difference between your work of art and a bad photo.</p>

<p>2) I'm a sad, pathetic little person who can only make it through the day by posting hurtful ratings on people who are better than me.</p>

<p>3) I hate you and the horse you rode in on. Die! Die! Die!</p>

<p>Don't look at me. I quit rating photos last month after reading too much whining and drama here and in the feedbag forum.</p>

<p>I tried, but too many folks on photo.net don't want honest feedback in any form, whether ratings or critiques. They want affirmation of what they already believe, unfettered praise and someone to pat 'em on the head and stick their purty pitchers on the refrigerator door.</p>

<p>If you want honest ratings and critiques, you'll have to personally invite someone to do so, and learn to graciously accept their feedback. I did that several years ago when I invited the colorful and cantankerous .[.Z to rate my entire portfolio. He did. Mostly 4/4's. And he was absolutely correct. Most of my portfolio was very average - competent, but nothing special.</p>

<p>If you prefer gratuitous praise, just look for the high raters. Join their club. They're a cheerful bunch and always happy to accommodate new members to their mutual admiration societies. You don't even need to go to Flickr anymore. We've got the same thing here.</p>

<p><em>My goal is merely to gauge whether most people's idea of 3 is closer to mediocre or disastrous.</em><br>

<em></em><br>

If you get some responses it will be so far from a representative sample that there is no way you reliably attain your goal. Since there are no reponses from such people and there likely will not be any, the whole excercise is futile.</p>

<p>You will be better off not fretting about the meaning behind ratings. Generally the better images will be rated higher, the not so better, lower. There will be many deviations for many reasons, rational or not. If you must know details of what people think of your images, follow the suggestion above and find people to give you detailed critiques. Wondering about the meaning behind ratings is pointless.</p>

<p>When I give a 3/3 it usually means the photo has a little less of something in the quality I would expect, such as OOF, crooked horizon or maybe exposure is off. Also that the photographer didn't give much thought to lighting or composition. I consider most 3/3's to be a lower than average snapshot. I went to look at your portfolio and I wouldn't give you many 3/3's, but I found it annoying to have to go through so many folders with just 1 photo in most. Because of that I didn't take the time to rate. Just my opinion and trying to be helpful.</p>

<p>Calvin, like most newbies, you worry about ratings too much. If you keep plugging away, you will move out of the grasshopper stage and into a Zen like state where you will be able to dismiss 3/3's with a "I am sure that if they had a more sophisticated knowledge of photography they would have rated my photos much higher". The only caveat is that you have to treat 7/7's the same way as in "I am sure that if the rater had a more sophisticated knowledge of photography he would have never given me a 7/7". </p>

<p>I stopped rating. Next move is to only submit for critique only. I only care for comments...the ratings are just hogwash. Especially the anonymous ones. If you can't stamp your name next to the rating, then you're too chicken to show me you meant it. Therefore, you didn't. Thanks for looking at least :-).</p>

<p>FWIW: That goes for ANY rating, not just bad ones. If you want to give it a 7/7, put your name on it.</p>