3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheet film holders in Polaroid? Size?

mark_hahn

I've got this bug to convert my 360 into a film camera if possible. The easiest would be just to use film holders if they

fit and hold the film at the correct distance. Anyone know if standard 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheet film holders will fit in

Polaroid? What are their dimensions? Also, has anyone converted one of these cameras? (I haven't found anything

on the web). I like the size and rangefinder etc... and think it would be fun to shoot, but the little prints are kind of

limiting.

thanks!

That looks very cool! But suggests that the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film holders will be way too wide. :(

I'm reluctant to give up that much negative unless I really have to.

What do you think about your results when blown up? I've only used my 360 with Type 667 film which doesn't exactly tax the lens very much... but if I put in some TMX or something and try to blow up a large image it might be different. Similarly, what about the closeup sets?

Thanks!

PS I'm trying not to make this into a giant engineering project... but I see one coming.

The lens on the 250 is not that great. It is good for up to 8x10 enlargements, but it's no Tessar. You certainly can put a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 back on one and Minh has even put 4x5 backs on them. The only reason I chose 2x3 was to make a slick looking package and I have lots of 2x3 holders. You can see the way I did it, it uses the original back cover that has been cut for the brace that contains the leaf springs that hold the film holder tight against the back plate. So the camera has the same size and look as the original and still fits in the polaroid case. Also the 2x3 holders fit in the case very well too. I also added a battery holder to fit a standard NB-1LH rechargeable 3.7V lithium battery pack.

hmm, mine has the same lens, how "good" is it up to 8x10? Most decent triplets are very good once stopped down and the Polaroid is pretty much always stopped down. Yeah, I want to do something that maintains the camera as original as possible. If it could be all internal I'd be even happier.

Just found a few expired packs that I'll have to try shooting before I do any serious modifications.

Mark,

Here is an example from the polaroid. This is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 100 ASA cut film shot on the 75 speed setting with 1/2 stop lighter on the metering scale. At this speed on the bright sun scale this is supposed to be f17.5. I think much over 8x10 starts to look fuzzy, but I may be overly critical. I think it still beats digital.<div>00RdSl-93005584.thumb.jpg.428b7c33d1b4b3220eed946cd7bba3b8.jpg</div>

I have personally been thinking of a similar conversion, but for 120 roll-film. The back on the pack film cameras is held in place by a long pin. I've thought about making a reversible conversion with a spring-loaded pin like the one that OM cameras and other 35mm cameras with interchangible backs use. A second back could be carefully dismantled and cut to handle the 120 film. The 360 is one of the nicest Polaroid cameras ever made and it would be a shame to gut it when Fuji still makes some great film that it will run! The 3000B in particular is just wonderful wonderful film... you will be pressed to find a digital camera or film camera that will take available light shots hand-held the way that 3000B does!

thanks for the examples Cliff! Yeah, I guess I agree with you assessment of the lens... you never see that on the little prints of course.

Patrick, yes I agree... it is a great camera and I'm looking into reversible options first... but the problem is that I just don't use the 360 much and probably would if I got good b&w negatives from it. With Polaroid media, I've never gotten great enlargements from scans bigger than maybe 5x7"... and as charming as the little prints are, it's hard to go out shooting with only those prints as outcome...

With my conversion for 2x3. the Grafic 23 roll holders WILL FIT in the back if I remove the covers and the spring back. But I see no need in shooting roll film in this camera when I have a slew of 120 folding cameras that are smaller and have better lenses. I do like the grafmatics however and have two of them for it.