2S Mirror Lock

joseph_ascione

I recently acquired on e-bay a 2S which has mirror lock in the

Program Mode but not in the Auto or Manual mode and switching to the

other mode has the mirror drop back into place. I placed new

batteries and this is still a problem. I thought I saw a thread

somewhere that the circuitry could be reset by a procedure of

shutter speed and mode but I can't seem to find that thread. I am

trying to decide whether to reject the camera. Any thoughts?

This may be the problem that I brought up, and there's a thread in this forum about it if you scroll down. Same camera. I had it fixed twice, then I got lucky. I discovered that a sharp whack with the heel of my hand would return the mirror. I must have been a little too mad, gave it a whack that was a little too hard, and the thing went flying off, hit the floor, and couldn't be used anymore. Halleluia! I'd had it about 8 months and never was able to shoot a full roll of film with it anyway.

Fortunately I have two "ordinary" OM2s that keep on chuggin'.

Hope yours works out better Joseph.

Place shutter ring on "B" setting, then toggle back and forth between "Manual" and "Auto" modes a few times. Then take off "B" and try Program mode again.

Be absolutely certain the batteries are fresh. Some stores don't sell many of them, and they are a bit too weak when you buy them. The camera's battery check can sound "Good" while they're still a tad too weak to properly run the program mode. Also ONLY use silver-oxides, the "SR44" and not the alkaline version "LR44". Also make sure the camera's battery contacts are super clean.

I went through a few OM-2S's before I found the absolute perfect one...tho even one of the 1's that wasnt "perfect" worked well.

My question to you:

I have a similar issue with an OM-2N. After pressing the shutter..the mirror locks up and I have move the switch to "check/reset" to make the mirror "unlock". Actually I noticed this at the place where I obtained the camera...the guy replaced the batteries and it worked well. It even worked well when I brought it home. I left it "on" and I wonder if the batteries got drained. I read someplace that they can drain in just a few hours. Is this really true?

Thanks.

-Ali

If you stored the -2N and left it "ON", sure, the batteries can drain in a few hours. Keep in mind how tiny these batteries are. OM cameras are very sensitive to the battery's condition. A weak battery may still test "good" with the camera's battery check feature, but may be too weak and cause a mirror lock-up in "Auto" mode.

When does it lock up? If you are in program or auto mode, loading new film and trying to click and wind your way to the first or second frame--and you have a lenscap on--the camera will be choosing a very slow shutter speed and it will seem as if the mirror is locking up. Always load and advance film in manual.

Thanks for your responses. I did decide to return that body, though the Seller thought I was just having the shutter delay issue. It was not that, I had strong lighting and the lens cap off. I tried it with batteries that worked in another body I had and I still had the same problem, then I also noticed as I looked through the viewfinder toggling between Manual, Auto and Program, that Program was lit in the viewfinder even when in Auto. I figured the circuits had problems. I was disappointed because the camera body was otherwise in good condition and I only paid $83 for it.