2nd Shooter

preston_harper

<p>I think it depends on the person and their experience. Really good pros will work with me for less than their worth because of their professionalism, and you'd still pay more than someone just starting out.<br>

So, for a long day (10 hours avg.) $125-200 or maybe $17-20/hour.</p>

<p>This will vary according to location--where are you located?. Also whether that location is an urban one. There is no one 'going salary'. It also depends if the person is a 2nd shooter or assistant. The latter isn't paid as much. Where I am--San Francisco Bay Area--a 2nd shooter might make $50 an hour, an assistant, maybe $25. However, the market is so crowded with people looking for experience these days, there is no lack of people willing to work for free for a while, just to get experience.</p>

<p>Nadine's advice is pretty realistic. I disagree with the idea of looking for someone to work for free, no matter how inexperienced they are. I've stated my case on this issue before and I have no desire to hash it up again.</p>

<p>When considering salaries, keep in mind the person's responsibilities. Obviously, I'd be more inclined to pay more for an asssistant who's handling the computer & cards than someone who's just carrying a bag. Hire someone interesting and who has a personality you like.</p>

<p>I pay day rates. OT when necessary.</p>

<p>You get what you pay for, don't forget that. There is usually a reason people will work for free, and that reason is because they can't find anywhere that will pay them.</p>

<p>As for pricing, it's all going to depend on the experience of the person you are hiring, the price level of the wedding you are shooting, and your location in the world. Good photographers aren't going to come cheap, especially if they are cutting out a day from their own schedule to work with you. On the other hand, they will give you FAR more useful images and can likely be trusted to deal with assignments using their own best judgement. Less experienced photographers will be cheaper, but you always run the risk of them screwing up or not knowing what to do in a given situation. Meaning that you need to oversee them more often and will not get as many usable images in return.</p>

<p>Personally? I would rather pay the cash to get an experienced second shooter or not bother and just pay to get an assistant to free me up from the drudge work and give me more time to get images myself. The middle ground of "inexperienced 2nd shooter" doesn't seem worth paying for. At least not in the price bracket and location that I was working when I was doing weddings.</p>

<p>Senor--I wasn't advocating not paying people. Just saying...to give Preston an idea of the background of the market for seconds and assistants, if he didn't already know. If I were going to hire a second shooter, I would definitely pay him or her. I don't think, by the way, that there is an 'and/or' when it comes to seconds and assistants. A person is either an assistant or a second.</p>

<p>I'll second shoot for people willing to second shoot for me. I don't care what they pay me or vice versa and as long as it's mutual, no one really cares. I'd much rather have a pro working with me than a rank amateur or mildly experienced photographer because there will be less mistakes.<br>

If I second for someone else, I give them my cards at the end of the event and get them back a few days later. I don't process anything as a second shooter, or expect the pros that second for me to do that either. Not only that, but I get a handful of their cards before the event and when I'm asked for a card, I give one of theirs, and expect the same at one of my events. Using a "hungry" photographer trying to break into the business can be a liability sometimes in that regard.<br>

Having said this, if someone is flying in for a destination wedding and bringing their own photographer that I am to shoot second for, I'll shoot on their cards and turn them over at the end of the event, but I'm charging $500 because there is no opportunity for a return on the favor.</p>

<p>I advise you to invest in teem relation with a second shooter and an assistant. This is very important to both of you to know what to expect from each other and to share your duties during the wedding day and the given moment. There is not such an animal "second shooter" in the professional wedding photography. In my wedding photography my second shhooter at given moments becomes first and I'm the second one. Sometimes he makes more photos than me ... somethimes he shoots "must haves" until I create fine-art photos. So, his photos make sells, mine portfolio and photo album ... <br>

Think about it.<br>

Pete</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Does anyone shoot weddings without a second shooter? I don't think it can be done properly but I've just done a few for friends to get experience and I know I missed some shots. I wonder how you get the wedding photographer experience if pros wouldn't use you because of your inexperience...</p>