28mm Pick'em

nikofile

<p>I have been wanting a 28mm for my Df .... just because. I looked at the new 1.8G, but it is large, and the cheapest nice used one I could find was $500. New is nearly $700.</p>

<p>So I looked at the legendary Ai-s 28mm f2.8. New USA is about $540, but there are lots of used ones out there. It's small, and all reviews say it is as good as it gets for near distance. Bjorn Rorslett gives it a 5 on almost everything but only 3.5 for distance. No one seems to like it at distance.</p>

<p>Then there is the Ai-s 28mm f2. It is good everywhere, although not as good up close as the f2.8 version. Still, Bjorn gives it top grades on everything.</p>

<p>The new 1.8G is an excellent lens, as are both of the Ai-s lenses. AF is not a very important feature here. I want to use it for street-type stuff, and MF is fine. This morning I got on ebaby and found the Ai-s f2 version out in California. The seller has perfect feedback on a lot of sales, and he declares it is in Mint condition. The photos suggest it is. t was a bit over $300, and that looked pretty good to me. So I jumped on it. I truly hope that the fact it has been in California doesn't taint the lens in some way.</p>

<p>I am looking forward to this 28mm lens. I have enjoyed my 20mm Ai-s more than I can tell you, and I think this lens will be great fun as well on my Df. I recently picked up a 55mm f2.8 that is mint and beautiful. Wow, is that thing sharp. I tried it also on my little a6000, and it is wonderful on that as well.</p>

<p>The Df has made all this possible for me. I take fewer photos with a larger variety of lenses than I ever have before, even with film, and I enjoy it immensely. I have started my little savings account for the Df2, if it ever comes. But even if I do get it, I'm not sure I could give up my Df. That's why I want to have the money saved and ready, rather than plan on selling my Df for the funds. A Df2 would have to be really special to replace the Df.</p>

<p>As a long time resident of California I am curious to know why a lens should be "tainted" in some way because it comes from a California seller. Our climate is not conducive to lens fungus and I have not had any negative experiences when puchasing photo gear from California sellers. Kindly enlighten me. Robert M Rene</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have the new 1.8 G. Even though it is a tad pricey it is a wonderful lens. It is the best 28 I have ever worked with.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

I'm sure it is, Owen. I have read nothing but good things. But it is pricey, and it is larger than I would like. I suspect manual focus on the G lens is decent, but not many lenses are as good in that area as Nikon Ai and Ai-s.</p>

<p>When I bought a D800E about two months ago, the last thing I wanted was to have to get less desirable lenses. I went with the very best I could put on that camera. The lenses will hold their value while I know the camera will continue dropping like a rock. It's the lenses that can really make a camera "sing." The $500 vs. $300 just doesn't sound like a big deal to me after the couple thousand you spent on a body.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I love my 28/2 Ai. It has an artful look to it. The best are very sharp. They have a rounded character that is cinematic. The aesthetics of it are no accident at all. This was a lens designed to look great. I have the 28/1.8g, which is a good lens, but with neutral values. There are times one wants that too.</p>

<p>Here's a review of two Nikon 28/2.8 Ai lenses which tested with huge differences. At their best, these are amazing.</p>

<p>http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/28mm_2.html</p>

<p>I often regret selling my 28/2 AIS. You will be very pleased. Don't worry too much about a DF2, you can use all your lenses on the better Nikon cameras, with manual aperture and metering, no problem.</p>

<p>Just because a lens is new does not make it better. Nothing wrong with putting any very good Nikon lens on a DF or D800/D810.</p>

<p>I use my Nikkor 28mm f2 Ai on my FM3a/FM2N.</p>

<p>It is a wonderful lens even close up and also very resistant to flare. It is also shaper in the corners at distance than the 28mm 2.8 AIS which I had and sold. I do not see any difference close up at all. The 28mm 2.8 AIS is not so sure footed when dealing with contre jour light - it does have a tendency to flare more that the F2 28mm. <br>

Mark</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I often regret selling my 28/2 AIS. You will be very pleased. Don't worry too much about a DF2, you can use all your lenses on the better Nikon cameras, with manual aperture and metering, no problem.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Thanks for that input, John. While it is true many modern Nikon DSLRs can take Ai and Ai-s lenses, the viewfinders are missing something. At least it seemed that way with my D800E, and a D700 when I had that. The Df viewfinder is different, and it is a very good balance for AF and MF. I am really looking forward to the 28mm. I have very much enjoyed a Voigtlander 40mm for walk-around, and I believe I will enjoy this 28mm for that same purpose.</p>

<p>If you don't need AF, then I don't think you'll lose anything between the old 28mm f/2 Ai-S and the new 28mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor. Both are quite soft in the corners wide open, but with the Ai-S lens it's a kind of hazy soft-focus effect rather than the harsh, plain out-of-focus effect of the AF lens.<br>

Stop the Ai-S lens down to f/4 and it's as clear as a bell all over the frame. In fact f/2.8 is pretty darn good too. I had the "legendary" 28mm f/2.8 Nikkor very briefly. I really couldn't see what the fuss was about and IMHO it's a very average lens until it's stopped well down. The f/2 version absolutely trounces it at like apertures.</p>

<p>I must admit I've been getting a bit lazy and using the Tamron 28-75mm for nearly everything. Pulling out the 28mm f/2 has encouraged me to stick a few of my old MF primes on the D800 and try to get back my 'single vision' eye. That is, learning to see pictures with a single A-O-V. Something I haven't really consciously done for years - thanks to the ubiquitous (and maybe iniquitous) zoom lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I must admit I've been getting a bit lazy and using the Tamron 28-75mm for nearly everything. Pulling out the 28mm f/2 has encouraged me to stick a few of my old MF primes on the D800 and try to get back my 'single vision' eye. That is, learning to see pictures with a single A-O-V. Something I haven't really consciously done for years - thanks to the ubiquitous (and maybe iniquitous) zoom lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

I have kept only 4 AF lenses, a 24mm 2.8D, 50mm 1.4G, 85mm 1.8G and an old 28-70 3.5-4.5D. I enjoy shooting with the MF lenses far more than AF, but the 50mm and 85mm are such good lenses that I would never give them up. And there are times I like just going out with the AFD 24mm. It too is a great lens. Still, it is very hard to like anything better than the Ais 20mm 2.8. And I know I will love the 28mm f2.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But that is no matter because the results from the 28-70/f3.5-4.5D-AF are just excellent.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

I really like that 28-70 on my Df. Appears you have a really nice copy. Mine is nearly mint, and it AF focuses accurately and fast, which is a good thing because it isn't much for manual focus. Still, it is great for family photos.</p>

<p>well , IQ is not everything, i think a conpact ais28/f2 brings more fun than AF 2.8 . 52MM FILTHER is also benifet in saving money. the focus feeling also better. i have a AI28F2.8, hevily used, spending 90USD. i bought a ais28 f.28 new for 450usd, after comparision i find no differenc e at all and return the ais one.</p>