28mm OVF for Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

<p>Does anyone use a 28mm optical viewfinder in the hotshoe with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens on a u4/3rds camera? Does this work okay? I realize that one gets less information than with an EVF, but coming from a DSLR I really prefer an optical viewfinder. Even with older digital P&S camera, I would prefer to use the OVF than holding the camera at arms length or peering at a little TV screen in a tube. ;)</p>

<p>I like the idea of the Sigma VF-11 in particular for its small size and low price, but am wondering if anyone has experience with multiple OVFs and could comment on their bulk, brightness and accuracy with the Panasonic 14mm pancake lens. </p>

<p>Many thanks!</p>

<p>I think you will find that there maybe EVF and EVF... for comparison I find that the VF-3 on my EPL-1 to be a bit "peering at a little TV screen in a tube :-)" but when I use my FZ and M4/3 viewfinders that is definitely not the case. :-) I have a distinct inclination to use the Oly LCD rather than the VF-3 when using the 014042 lens except when sun is falling on it.<br>

This may have something to do with the awkwardness of the VF-3 as an attachment and a nervousness to get my eye up close compared to the way the FZ & M4/3 fit snug into my face with the camera body keeping them at a proper distance from my eye. My earlier Nikon 5700 does seem a bit small after using my later cameras.</p>

<p>You can buy yourself any 28mm viewfinder for a rangefinder camera and it will work fine. Voigtlander seems to be popular, as do the OVF accessories for the Ricoh or Sigma that you mention (GV-2 for the Ricoh, for example).</p>

<p>Obviously, the OVF will have the aspect of the camera it is designed for. A Leica was designed for film, so it will be 3:2. However, given that it's just a piece of glass with etched lines, it is very easy to adapt to your shooting style, and it gives pretty much the same precision that it would on a "correct"-aspect camera. A quick living room or backyard test will show you exactly what you need to adjust with regards to your framing, since you have immediate image playback with a digital camera. If you want single-pixel precision, you need to use TTL anyway, so consider an electronic viewfinder.</p>

<p>Agree with Ariel on this. </p>

<p>I use an old Leitz 5cm finder with one of my E-P2 cameras and 25mm lens. I cannot recall any significant framing difficulties with the 3:2 finder used with the 4:3 format. If the picture needs precise framing, there's always the rear LCD. </p>

<p>I have been using the small Ricoh GRD 28mm finder (GV-2) on my Sigma DP-1 a long time and now sometimes use it on E-P1 with the Panasonic 14mm lens. It is small, very bright and clear and the cropping is close enough. I am sure the small Sigma finder is equally good. There are a few much bigger ones, like the Ricoh GV-1, probably made by Voigtlander, that are not really any better but are much bigger in size. I would not bother with them, better get a small one that fits the camera better. </p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I went to B&H last weekend I got to try the Sigma VF-11 and Ricoh GV-2 side-by-side. There was no comparison --- the Ricoh is much brighter, the framing more accurate, and while the eye-point isn't great for someone like me who wears glasses, it is usable and much better than the Sigma.</p>

<p>I also tried the Olympus VF-2 and VF-3 EVFs at the same time. The VF-2 is barely larger than the VF-3, but it is much higher resolution and I really prefer it. If I went with an EVF, I would definitely choose the VF-2 based on image quality. Because B&H puts anti-theft retaining tabs on the VF-2 and VF-3, I wasn't able to close them down all the way, and so can't speak to whether the lack of a locking mechanism on the VF-2 is a problem. Both were easy for me to use with glasses.</p>

<p>However, I decided to go with the Ricoh GV-2, since I only use the Panasonic 14mm lens with my E-PM1. It's small, solid, and gives a nice view. I really prefer an optical finder. At $199, however, it isn't inexpensive.</p>

<p>Finally, I will mention that there are ~$25 28mm optical viewfinders available on eBay, sold by an Israeli seller and apparently homemade. I really wanted something smaller for my E-PM1, but if anyone needs an inexpensive 28mm finder, for such a low price you can hardly go wrong.</p><div>00aQSl-468973584.jpg.821e153f20e8affe23f492c43b911348.jpg</div>