I'm looking to pick up a manual Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 lens (not f/3.5 or

f/2). I'm not sure which version to pick however... Information on

the net is not always straightforward. I believe there are three

versions... AI, AI-s and Series E (excluding the non-AI ones, I

don't want these).

I need this lens to travel light - I have an 18-35 which I really

like, but it's heavy and I worry too much about it's build quality -

normally I don't care, but backpacking in Asia looks to be something

different. I'd prefer a solid, light lens.

I heard the best things about the AI-s. Question: how can I

recognise one, and tell it apart from the AI (is there even a 28mm

AI?)? If the '22' is orange, it's an AI-s? And what about the

quality of the Series E type? Generally I've been surprised by the

optics of Series E (I have a 100mm, and 75-150mm), much better then

they're made out to be.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance!

ps. What does 'ADR' mean? I come across this quite often on websites

describing lenses.

You may want to take a look at Bjørn Rørslett's site of lens tests at <a href="http://

www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html">www.naturfotograf.com</a>. His tests indicate the

28mm f2.8 with the .2m close focus is excellent. I have the .3m close focus version of this

lens and, much like him, describe it as just OK but certainly not great.

I use the AIS 28/2.8 quite a bit. It's a wonderful lens - really top notch.

Buying new you might want to look into B&H/Adorama in NYC, or over the

i'net. Used - check out KEH. When I purchase in Europe, it's

almost always from Robert White (UK).

I assume the AI and AIS 28/2.8 performance is similar, if not identical.

But if it's an AIS you want, any of the retailers listed [above] will have that lens correctly labelled.

I know that the 28/2 is considered to be an excellent lens. A used one

KEH is probably what you should be looking for if this is what

interests you. The 28/1.4 is also highly rated but it is very expensive

and I think you really have to have a need for this lens in order to

justify its price - even for an amateur.

The 28/2.8 AIS (8/8 CRC) is certainly very highly regarded. You can recognize it with its AIS lens mount (there's an extra groove that doesn't exist on AI lenses).

ADR means Aperture Direct Readout, it's the second set of small aperture numbers on the aperture ring that can be seen directly in many nikon MF viewfinders.

The AIS version is optically different, and better, than the AI, Series E, AF and AF-D lenses. Not everyone, buyers and sellers, sometimes mis-identify AI & AIS lenses. The AIS versions of the lens have serial numbers in the following range: 638657 - 835686.

Roland's table of lens serial numbers is priceless for identifying lenses (http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#28)

Besides the orange minimum aperture number, AIS lenses have a concave slot milled out of the lens mount. That's the most sure way to identify an AIS lens in my opinion. There are other differences too: AIS lenses have fewer lens mounting screws, and their "throw" is less than AI in focusing. That is, it takes far more angular rotation of the focusing ring to go from minimum focus distance to infinity with an AI lens than with an AIS lens. This may be preferable, as it allows for slower but more precise focusing. For a lens such as the 24 f/2.8, which has had the same optical formula for decades, I prefer the AI version.<p>However, the AIS 28 f/2.8 has a different optical formulation than its predecessors, and it has CRC floating elements which give it such stellar close-up performance. You want the 28 f/2.8 AIS, and not any of the other f/2.8 variants.<p>ADR refers to a series of small aperture numbers behind the main aperture numbers on the aperture ring. It stands for "Aperture Direct Readout". On cameras such as the F3, a little lens - periscope system allows you to read the aperture off the ADR scale, and see it in the viewfinder.

I agree with Walter because most of the reviewers prefer a 28mm f2.0 AI or AIS lens over the 28mm f2.8 AIS version. This preference is especially for improved sharpness in the corners near infinity focus. But the f2.0 model has noticable barrel distortion whereas the AIS f2.8 model has almost none. Not that a little barrel distortion is any more of deal killer than softness in the corners near infinity. But be sure to read Bjorn's review ot these lenses before you commit.

Jonas

Most of the above posts have answered your queries regarding the ADR etc.

I own an AIS 28mm 2.8. It is a superb lens IMHO. On 35mm I do not get any really adverse ghosting if the sun is in the frame. I think that Bjorn Rorslett tests his on a digital camera and not a 35mm and reports some problems on digital in this respect. Bjorn still rates this lens alongside the 28mm f2 AIS in his 'best of the best' compilation on his really excellent website.

Build quality is high and it's small but tough weighing in at 250g. It's very very sharp indeed. Test reports I've seen show that it is one of the best 28mm lenses ever. Distortion is very well controlled and colour is great. To be honest, I think you'd be happy with either the F2.8 or the F2 - the latter is widely respected too. It depends on your budget and perhaps if you can live with the focussing issues of a 2.8 lens.

The Series E lens (28mm 2.8) got really good reviews in Amateur Photographer magazine in 1980 I recall - though it was felt to be a bit soft wide open. I think it got very goods for overall performance, definition and contrast but good for optical balance because of the wide open performance. The 28mm 2.8 AIS is definately not soft wide open!! The only weak Series E that I can think of is the 35mm 2.5. The 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 and 75-150mm 3.5 both have good reputations.

Check out the sample you buy and return it if you can if performance is not up to your expectations.