28-105 zoom mechanism

thomson_chan

<p>Hi All,<br>

I've recently bought a used copy of 28-105 AFD from a camera shop. It produces great results, just as many web reviews suggest. But one thing bugs me a bit, it's the zoom mechanism. When I turn from a long focal setting towards 28mm, it could get stopped at around the 35mm position. But if I turn the lens towards 105mm and try a couple of times, the lens would happily let me turn it back down to 28mm.<br>

Has this happened to your 28-105 lens, or any other Nikon lens? Is there a economical way to fix it? The optics in this lens is great and I wouldn't want to waste it.</p>

<p>Thanks for your advice in advance.<br>

Thomson</p>

<p>Hi Richard, Eric,<br>

Thanks for your responses. The microswitch is set as 'normal', it would limit the zoom between 50mm and 105mm, but the jam is around 35mm. <br>

The store will refund it if I take it back, but it's a bit disappointing that after longing for a good copy, some glitch has made it slightly inconvenience to use.<br>

Thomson</p>

<p>I've owned a couple copies of this lens (fine at 12MP, not so sharp at 36MP) and the zoom mechanism is very fragile - one of my copies fell off a log about 6" high onto some soft pine needs and it bent one of the internal mechanisms and then displayed something similar to what you've described. I had it fixed by one of the local repair for something like $50. If you own it and if something is broke it's not worth it, but if something is bent/fixable then it might be worth it to get it fixed. If under warranty send it back.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing your experience :)<br>

Re Robert, thanks for your generosity. I think I would return the lens, and be more careful in choosing the next copy. I doubt the camera shop would send it off for it to be fixed, as there's no official spare parts and it the resale price is too low.<br>

I would still like a copy of this lens to play with. I'll be careful with the next one :P</p>