24mm f2 vs. f2.8

<p>Looking at the pictures and specs I was wondering if the FDn 24/2 was really a stop faster than <br>

the 2.8. They both have the same 52mm filter size, and look about the same in girth.<br>

Comparing to the Olympus F2 it has a 55mm filter size and the front element is definetly <br>

larger. I know all camera companies round off the FL etc.</p>

<p>Has anyone seen tested measurements on the F-stop.</p>

<p>You can't judge much of anything about the f/stop from the filter size.</p>

<p>My Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 and my Nikkor 50mm f/2 and my Nikkor 20mm f/4 all take 52mm filters - Nikon took a lot of trouble to make that so.<br>

Prakticas and Pentaxes tried hard to make as many of their lenses 49mm ø as they could. and so on and on.</p>

<div>00bcc7-535921584.jpg.bed4c78b9249542c151a546b2fc1d59c.jpg</div>

<p>No,<br /> comparing even among the same focal length still does not make it reasonable to use filter thread as a measure for f/stops.<br /> Aperture f/stop is the ratio of the lens's <em>focal length</em> to the diameter of the <em>entrance pupil</em>, not the size of the lens barrrel or the filter thread.</p>

<p>I am going to use the lens as a 36mm efl on a Nex camera as a walk around lens<br>

manually focus using focus peaking. I just wish I knew someone who<br>

could compare the Canon F2 to the Olympus F2, those so far are my choices.<br>

I read where Sigma was planing a 24mm f1.4 new Art series primes.<br>

Of course there is also the 18-35mm F1.8 that Sigma has announced, but<br>

that may cost a lot more than these lenses. What I like is the quality of<br>

construction of these lenses, manual focus and adjustable aperture on them<br>

makes giving up AF and AE on a WA no big deal. People got along without them<br>

just fine. I used Leica all manual where I had to use a separate meter too,<br>

at least the Nex has TTL metering and focus assist that help out.</p>

<p>Anyone ever use the Olympus F2 and the FD f2 and could compare them</p>

<p>Thanks JDM, Phil, and Mark, I have been looking everywhere , stores online, ebay <br>

and saw one 24 f2 fdn on ebay but the seller wanted $345 with the lens hood,<br>

plus shipping. This is a 30 year old design, and not like todays lenses, no aspherical,<br>

ED, or LD glass, just plain spherical elements. Its a desirable lens, but I figured<br>

with buying an FD to Nex Fotodiox adapter and a BW52c hood it would cost<br>

almost $450.</p>

<p>I just got lucky, a new listing came up from a store for $245 including the hood.<br>

So I snapped it up taking your advise and acting on it. I am happy I paid a resonable<br>

amount. They have been selling for $300 with the hood.<br>

The NEX has focus peaking and you set the lens on manual and choose the aperture<br>

the camera shows you what is in focus and chooses the shutter speed. <br>

This should make a great EFL 36mm walk around lens and great for indoor available light.<br>

The NEX 5n I have is fine up to iso 3200. That extra F stop sure makes a difference.</p>

<p>Congrats on the find! Given the relative scarcity of the lens, the price you got it for is very good, provided it's in good shape.<br /><br />I just noticed that my copy has a little oil on its blades, so it's going to be off for servicing. Oddly, that condition seems to afflict FDn lenses more than FD lenses. :-(</p>

<p>I live in Vancouver, BC, where we are blessed to have one the the world's best camera and lens technicians, Horst Wenzel.</p>

<p>He's long retired, but works out of his very well-equipped basement shop. Horst has many a rare talent, but perhaps the most amazing of all is that he does all of his superb work without consulting service manuals. He is a true genius.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>T.Z.<br>

UD / LD / ED glass is only for long and fast teles, Aspherical elements are only needed for very fast lenses. These lenses (24/2, 24/2.8) didn't <strong>need</strong> these features. You want an Aspherical element 24mm? Get the 24mm F 1.4, new or old FD mount. Additionally, many EF mounts used the same optical formula ad their FD predecessors. </p>

• 1 month later...