24-70 f/2.8-To "E or not to E" and Questions on Film Use

ben_hutcherson

I'm a big user currently of the 24-120 f/4 for a mid-range zoom on a couple of different cameras(D800, Df, F100, F6) and like it, although I often find myself wishing it was just a bit faster and also can see that it's not quite up to the job even with the AA-ed 36mp D800 sensor.

Consequently, I'm considering getting a 24-70 f/2.8 to cover this range. I know that both the G version and the E-VR version of this lens are well liked, but since my main concern is image quality it seems as though the E-VR version wins. I'm still on the fence and don't know if and when I'll be buying(I hope soon, but it may have to wait several months) but one of the big black marks against the E-VR for me is its lack of compatibility with film. To be honest, that's really a big deal since I find a faster lens somewhat more advantageous and also more forgiving(in terms of focus error) with film than digital.

As a bit of an idle thought, though-I know that the F6/F100/F5 can't control the aperture on E lenses. They are fine running VR on anything you throw at them, though, and I'm wondering if VR will continue to work on the E-VR with these bodies. Has anyone tested this? If that's the case, with careful use I can actually probably live with the E-VR version...

I have that 24-70 E and an F100 and F5, but checking VR on those film bodies means I need to shoot film and get that processed. If it were digital I would check for you.

I don’t see why VR wouldn’t work, but getting stuck at f2.8 is very problematic as you’ll lose the ability to control depth of field. Another concern is the 24-70 E is huge.

It is well known that the 24-70 G is sharper in the center but the E is more even across the frame.

Thanks guys.

Shun, I guess I hadn't looked into it-it sounds like the difference between the G and E is similar to the difference between the 70-200 f/2.8 VR and VR II, where the former is usually considered better in the center and the VRII is more even across the frame(as I understand it, the FL version removed that discrepancy, and is as sharp as the VR I across the frame).

It sounds like the G version is probably the better one for me, and I can continue to use the 24-120 f/4 when I need VR.

Thanks guys.

Shun, I guess I hadn't looked into it-it sounds like the difference between the G and E is similar to the difference between the 70-200 f/2.8 VR and VR II, where the former is usually considered better in the center and the VRII is more even across the frame(as I understand it, the FL version removed that discrepancy, and is as sharp as the VR I across the frame).

It sounds like the G version is probably the better one for me, and I can continue to use the 24-120 f/4 when I need VR.

On the other hand, if you get the E-VR version you get the VR (assuming that VR works with your film camera) and shoot only at f/2.8. If you need smaller aperture you always have your 24-120 f/4.0.

Thanks guys.

I never have both versions of the 24-70mm/f2.8 to compare side by side, but as far as I know, the E VR is not as sharp in the center but more even across. The G is sharper in the center but not as good towards the edges.

Last year I started using the 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR on the D850, and I think edge performance is rather disappointing under 46MP. At this point the 24-70mm lenses that I prefer are the Z mount ones.

The E lens has less field curvature and it's easier to get images sharp across the frame, for example, in a group shot. However, it is less sharp in the center at 70mm at near distances (e.g. 0.5 m). At longer distances the situation rectifies at 70mm.

The E version has VR, of course, which is quite useful but not what I would call essential in this focal range, higher contrast, bolder colors, less CA in the out of focus corners, the AF is faster and quieter (less hesitant). The zoom mechanism has a more even feel whereas the G version can feel more uneven in the stiffness of the zoom ring. I like the E but if you need to use the lens on a film camera, the G version is the one to get (or 28-70/2.8D if you can find that).