24-120 f/4 for Walk-Around FX/Film lens

ben_hutcherson

Having now "gone in deep" and invested in an FX camera(D800) I find myself wanting a "modern" VR walk-around zoom. The film camera it most likely would end up on is my F100, which I think is fully compatible with this lens.

Looking at the current selection, this lens seems to fit my wants best. My photography tends to be more wide-angle inclined, and I'm really not interested in dropping a lot of cash on a mid-range zoom that doesn't go to at least 24mm(I'd rather just carry a 24mm and 50mm in that case). So, that leaves out lenses like the 28-300.

The internet and folks like Rockwell(for what its worth) seem to like this lens.

From reading, the older 3.5-4.5 version does not seem to be particularly well regarded-I wish it was as it's certainly inexpensive enough on the used marked.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this lens or alternate suggestions?

The only 24-120mm Nikkor I would get is the constant f4 AF-S VR, and it is much cheaper to get it as part of a kit with either the D750 or D810 in these days. If you only want the lens, look for people who sell the lens from the kit or other used opportunities.
  • Like 1

I have and like this lens (24-120/4VR), but I`d also consider the "new" 24-85, VR version. Lighter and smaller, I find it interesting for camera-hanging-on-neck kind of walking.

The 24-120/4 seem to me a bit on the heavy side. In the other hand, it has the benefit of the higher "reach", great for portraiture.

I have the 24-120 f/4, but I make more use of the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC (not the one that was just announced), which tends to behave better over the intersected range, has an extra stop, and isn't much bigger. I was expecting the 24-120 to be like the 28-200 f/3.5-5.6G (tiny), but it's not - you'll notice you're carrying it. I do have a 70-200 that I'll use if the longer end is needed, though, so it's only a convenience thing to have the 70-120mm range for me. I'd agree that, as a walk-around lens, the 24-85 is worth a look. It might also be worth considering the Sigma 24-105 f/4, although I've no personal experience with it. I've not checked whether either that Sigma or the Tamron are "E" lenses, though, which would be a problem on your F100.

The performance of the 24-120 is decent on a D8x0, but it's not stellar - more limited zooms and certainly primes will do better. So long as you're expecting that, it's fine, although I wish it was priced like a consumer convenience zoom. As ever, a bit of digital correction helps.

Since you asked for alternates, let me put on the table an option that's likely not going to be popular: the Nikon 28-300mm/3.5-5.6 ED AFS VR. Yes, it's one big bundle of compromises from the widest end to the middle to its longest reach when you shoot wide open; from being soft at the corners and lateral CA. It will never be as good as the f2.8 zooms or the 1.8 or 1.4 primes in any one thing. But here's the thing: with appropriate expectations, I would recommend this lens as a very good option for general use, for walking around or for travel.

Compared to the 24-120mm, the price, size and build are in the same neighborhood, and according to Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com, IQ from 28-120mm at the same apertiure are comparable, although the 24-120mm obviously gives you an option to shoot at f4. The superzoom is also not as wide, but what it gives up on the wider end, it more than makes up on the tele end.

For a general walkaround or travel lens, I don't think you could go wrong either choice. All I'm saying is that, compared to the 24-120mm/4, the much-maligned 28-300 is a viable option. And yes, I do have one - it is a lot of fun to use, especially with the Canon 500D close up lens.

I have both 28-300 and 24-120 and regularly use both. There is small difference in size / weight. I prefer the 24-120 by a considerable margin when walking and the 28-300 from the car. I do believe the former is sharper than the latter. If you want lighter and less costly, the 24 to 85 is very good as well -- that was my daytime walkaround before I got the 24-120.

Thanks guys-you've given me a fair bit to stew on.

As I said, a 28-xx zoom is out since it doesn't go to 24mm. I already sort of had this covered in the old but very good 28-85 3.5-4.5, and could use that lens in a pinch as a walk-around(I have before on my F4 and F100).

I hadn't considered the 24-85. The price is certainly attractive, although used prices of it are not all that different from the $600 refurb posted above on the 24-120. At the same time, when I use primes I find myself grabbing either an 85 or 135 in preference to a 105 on the long end of the scale, so getting the longer lens wouldn't necessarily help me especially if it comes with a weight penalty.

I doubt I'll catch either used locally, but if my main "supplier" doesn't have either I'll head a few blocks down to the other camera store and see if I can handle both lenses. They're usually in the ballpark of B&H new prices(a little higher, but not enough to make me run away) and there's a chance of finding used examples there, so there's a pretty good chance I'll buy from them. I do like to support my local shops as much as I can.

Thanks again everyone-like I said you've given me something to think about.

The 1st version on a crop body (not the VR version) worked quite well for me for several years, haven't tried the later versions though, as I'm still working with a crop body. Unless you really need/want the extra reach, the 24-85 seems like a better choice to me as a walk around lens..

Well, I haven't bought anything yet, but it looks like the local camera store(the "new" store-not the used shop I haunt) has made the decision for me.

First of all, I tried their display samples of both the 24-85 and 24-120 on their display D810, which I figure is close enough to the D800 to give me a good idea. Again, with only looking at the LCD, I didn't have any complaints about IQ of either lens and was happy that I was getting a good proportion of shots sharp at 1/15 even at the long end of the zoom range.

The weight difference is DEFINITELY noticeable, though. It's not huge, but at the same time I can see that if I just wanted to go out for the day with only the body and one lens, I'd definitely notice the difference.

Reach wise, again I've used an 85mm prime a fair bit, but don't really find myself using primes between there and 135mm. I don't think I'd miss the 85-120 range.

The real kicker, though, is that the local shop has three of the 24-85s used in good condition for under $200...so that looks like a no-brainer.

I went to Cambodia a few months ago and wanted one lens to go with my D750. I took the 24-120 f4 and never looked back. When its hot and your energy is constantly being sucked through your eyeballs, you don't really want to fool around with changing lenses and such foolishness. Keep it simple and maybe get some good photos.

I rented this lens and a D800 to cover a wedding and was so impressed I immediately put it on layaway. My most used lens is a Tamron 28-75/2.8 and it does excellent work. I'm happy though with the results of the 24-120 and it is a bit more versatile in the full frame venue. It would be a great walkaround lens unless you just needed the f/2.8 aperture.

Rick H.

I have and like this lens (24-120/4VR), but I`d also consider the "new" 24-85, VR version. Lighter and smaller, I find it interesting for camera-hanging-on-neck kind of walking.

The 24-120/4 seem to me a bit on the heavy side. In the other hand, it has the benefit of the higher "reach", great for portraiture.

Concur with this 100% - I am happy with my 24-120 f/4 VR, but at the time the 24-85VR wasn't yet available. If I'd be buying now, I'd consider that lens for sure (because of weight, size and price). That said, the 24-120VR never really drops the ball for me, boring good :-).

I don't like it (any versions), I don't like it's corner performance at 24mm or 120mm plus it's bulky. I tried one and went back to my 24-85mm f4-5.6 ED AFS and often take my 180mm AFD or 70-210mm f4-5.6 AFD along. Depends on what subjects you shoot.

Just my opinion

From the other side of the fence:

The single most used lens I have for my Canon FF cameras is the 24-105mm IS. I would very much recommend a Nikon equivalent .

Its utility/handiness overrides minor flaws in other areas.

I took the 24-120 f/4 and D810 on a 10 day trip to Japan last October and never found myself wanting another lens the entire trip. Yes, it's a little heavy, but I took a number of my favorite photos in the 86-120mm range which would have been missed with a 24-85mm.

In terms of image quality, the 24-120 provides better image quality out towards the edges of the frame than the 24-85 VR, especially towards the wide end. My 24-120 produces decent corners at 24mm whereas the 24-85mm smeared detail. I really wanted to like the 24-85, but ended up selling it recently as it really doesn't do justice to the 36mp sensor. This was after several tripod-mounted tests to ensure that I wasn't being sloppy.

For pure landscape work, I still prefer the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 (original version) as it has slightly more contrast in fine details but if you stop down to F/11 or smaller then there's little difference and I often carry the 24-120 on mountain hikes.