20D Tethered w/EOS Utility etc

btmuir

Okay, I know this has been asked before BUT I searched and found all responses assuming I want to shoot

tethered and control the camera from the computer.

I need to know if I can shoot hand held as normal, with the usb connected and the image goes to the

laptop. I do not want to have to fire the shutter from the laptop.

I just updated all the bundled software via Canons site and now there is something call "Camera Window"

(will not open so I have NO idea what this new app does) and the usual other apps like Image Browser, EOS

Utility. I looked through all preferences and the set up works but ONLY if I fire the camera from the laptop.

I'm shooting 20D to MacBook Pro running Leopard 10.5.2

Is anyone doing what I would like (fireing at camera NOT the computer) without buying a separate app like

Capture One or something other than DPP, EOS Utility, etc?

Thanks in advance.

I have found it useful to connect the camera with the power turned off, then power up the camera after it's connected. Seems to help the computer recognize it.

As for using the camera shutter, of course you can still control the camera at the camera. You can set shutter, aperture, iso, etc and it will be reflected in the camera window on the computer.

<Chas>

Charles, there isn't a problem with the computer recognizing and it even saves to the correct

folder I choose when I fire from the little EOS Utility window in the laptop screen.

I dont want to be tied to the computer I just want to have it for a larger review after the

image has been shot.

Again, I want to fire the shutter from the CAMERA, not the laptop.

The set up I have now, the top info panel flashes " Busy" if you try to activate the shutter

or change any settings like aperture/shutter speed etc. while you have EOS Utility open. It

works fine from the computer when you hit the EOS Utility apps. shutter button

You can only activate the camera, change settings via EOS Utility..

My firmware version is 2.0.3

As far as I can remember the software has always behaved like this for me and I only

recently updated everything to try to shoot to computer while controlling from the

Camera.

Has anyone observed this "busy" flashing behavior?