20D and level pictures

hwyblues

After a recent out of town trip with my new 20D, I noticed that most

of my pictures appear to lean to the left -- that is the horizon is

such that the left of the frame is lower the right. The shots were

all taken with the camera being hand held with a 17-40 lens.

I realize that misplacing the horizon is human error and that it is

simple to fix. I wonder, however, whether anybody else who has made

the switch to the 20D has experienced something similar?

I have never so consistently misplaced the horizontal level with my

older film cameras and am wondering if it has anything to do with the

new camera or the new lens (or perhaps my older eyes are to blame).

I have attached an example. I ended up with a bunch of similar shots.

Monte<div>00Aq29-21456284.jpg.7a055a9b965d147885609e23202ebc6c.jpg</div>

The 20D viewfinder is tiny compared to a typical film SLR and thus keeping horizons true

can be challenging to say the least. When I first got my 10D I had the same problem. I

actually improved alignment with practice but it's a lot more difficult than composing with

my EOS 3 or FM3A. I've resigned to the fact I always need a .5 to 1 degree rotation in

Photoshop when long vertical or horizontal lines are involved. Too bad a grid screen isn't

built in...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

That means your camera is actually tilted down on the right side.

That's easy: The film canister was on the left side on your film camera therefore, you were holding more weight on that side. Now you have a digital camera and the weight is equal but, your hand is still used to holding more weight on one side so...it is now overcompensating causing the camera to tilt up to the left and therefore, the horizon to tilt down on the left...

Alright, the smaller viewfinder is probably the real reason :)

The film theory was pretty good though ;P

Too bad the rotation sensor just gives you two bits of resolution. If it could record the angle the camera was at, the software could correct it.

The main reason I would wish go from a 20D to a full frame camera would be to get a real viewfinder back. Oh, and to make the 28-135 IS into a useful wide angle lens.

All the posters seem to be accusing you of user error. It may not be, and might be due to a misaligned finder instead. Try levelling the camera on a tripod with a shoemount spirit level and see if the rotation still persists. If so, it's reasonable to ask Canon to adjust it under warranty. The problem is more common with 300Ds, but there is no reason it won't happen with a 20D as well.

Monte,

Sounds a strange problem I know, but I have exactly the same problem, horizons tilted down to the left! Have been an EOS film user for a long time and never suffered from such problems. Also previously had an EOS Digital Rebel and also didn't have the problem. Also, the problem is not consistent, some shots are okay others not. I also noticed that as well as tilted down to the left, if I take close ups they are also shifted towards the left. Sounds like my error I know, but I'm starting to suspect a faulty camera?

David.

Leaning tower of Pisa ? If it is straight then the finder is misaligned.

I would shoot any large building. There will be plently of vertical lines to examine. Both building and camera will be perfectly vertical and so vertical lines in the building should be vertical in the picture. Horizontal lines may converge if the side of the building and the sensor plane are not perfectly parallel.

This will eliminate sensor misalignment though not finder misalignment. To eliminate find misalignment you need to use the finder and a line in the building. Run the line vertically through the AF points (your visual reference). If the image comes out tilted then something in the viewfinder is skewed (possibly the screen).

mm...that looks titled as much as the 1st picture you posted, and it the same direction too.

At this point I can't think of any other possible culprits (other than the already mentioned sensor).

When you looked thru the finder, did the edge of the carpenter's level look parallel to the edge of the finder's top? If it did, then, ti is the sensor.

Repeat the test and frame the picture so that the edge of the level is close to the upper frame of the finder; see if they look parallel.

I had a 300D, and now I own a 20D. I also have a P&S SD300. I notice more crooked

pictures with all of my digital cameras than I did with film, and I think I know why:

Prints and aren't inherently mounted in a square, level box all of the time, but digital shots

are. When we view them on monitors, we are providing a fixed, level (or close) reference

frame that doesn't exist for prints. I don't think I take more crooked shots than I used to,

but I know I NOTICE more of them now. I think that one or two degrees wouldn't be as

noticeable if it was in a print on a table...

It's funny to read this, as I noticed the same phenomenon after coming back from a trip a few weeks ago: many of my landscapes were tilted.... to the RIGHT! ;)

It was pretty consistent, and I typically needed about 1 degree rotation to fix it. I just chalked it up to bad technique on my part, and I remember thinking I was pretty consistent.

Now, I wonder:

A) Bad technique - maybe due to the adjustment to the new camera

B) Bad technique - it's always been there, but I didn't notice with film

C) Faulty camera... what is the tolerance on these things? 1 degree is a very small number.