20D and Digital Photo Professional

I use Photoshop to edit all of my photos, but I am interested in using Canon's pagacked software, Digital

Photo Professional, to capture photos with my 20D. The problem is that I cannot figure out how!<br>

<br>

I updated Digital Photo Professional to its most recent edition from Canon, but it appears as though EOS

Capture (the actual capturing software) is not compatable with it. Instead, EOS Utility is the program now

used for capturing, but it appears to not be compatable with the 20D!<br>

<br>

Any ideas? Thanks!<br>

<br>

-Troy<br>

<a href="http://www.troyjsimpson.com">www.troyjsimpson.com</a>

From the Canon Web site, I updated Digital Photo Professional. The updater for Digital

Photo Professional said that EOS Capture 1.5 can no longer be used for remote shooting.

Instead, it recommends installing EOS Utility 1.1. I figured that'd be fine, so I downloaded

and installed the newer version of Digital Photo Professional.

Then the problem: When I went to download EOS Utility 1.1, the installer stated that the

20D (amongst many others) cannot be connected for remote shooting using EOS Utility 1.1

So now EOS Capture doesn't work with my version of Digial Photo Professional and EOS

Utility doesn't work with my camera!

It seems as though I'm trapped!

<p>The software package that came with my 20D included EOS Capture and EOS Viewer Utility, as well as DPP. I've never used EOS Capture but it shipped with the camera, its readme explicitly lists the 20D as compatible, as does the printed manual, and the manual says that when you want to run EOS Capture, you first have to start EVU.</p>

Steve,

Thanks for your help. The original software may work fine and I suppose I may have to

break out the original CDs and resinstall everything. But I wanted to update my version of

Digital Photo Professional. The downloader for Digital Photo Professional 2.2.0 states the

following:

"When Digital Photo Professional 2.2.0 is installed, you cannot use EOS Capture 1.5. If you

use the remote shooting function, please install EOS Utility 1.1 in your computer. (EOS

Utility 1.1 Updater can be downloaded separately.)"

I assumed that wouldn't be a problem and that I would just download EOS Utility 1.1

shortly thereafter. However, upon attempting to do so, it became apparent that EOS Utility

1.1 is not compatible with the 20D for remote capture:

"3. Please note the following restrictions if you are using Mac OS X 10.4.7 on PowerPC

Macs.

3-1. EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 20Da, EOS Kiss Digital/300D Digital/

Digital Rebel cannot be connected."

My attempts to runt he update anyway failed.

I was just curious if anyone else has come across this problem. Like you implied, I may

just have to reinstall the original software and forgo all of the updates. It just seems silly

that updates would make the software not work.

<p>Ah - so you're a Mac user? Hmm. The manual from my 20D package says that EOS Capture works only with OS X, and only with the 20D. So that version ought to work, if you can get it to install even though all of your other software is newer. I don't do Macs so I can't help; sorry.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

Troy;

consensus on some forums is Canon's Mac software can be flakey, depending on the OS version; seems to be USB related.

Same setup can work fine for some users, but not others

I'm able to tether my 20D (2.0.3 firmware) to a PB/G4(last version) with OS 10.4.8, DPP v2.2.2 and EOS Utility v1.1.1

However, EOS Utility won't always recognize the 20D; rebooting DPP or disconnecting/reconnecting USB cable usually works.

Give it a try; working tethered is worth the effort

cheers, jtr