205FCC Hasselblad and digital backs

lolver

<p>Help, please, I'm tying myself in research knots here.<br>

I have a 205FCC and have started looking at the cheaper end of the digital back market, I fancy for instance a Phase One P20+ but there might be others. V series compatibility is everywhere (503CW...) but my model isn't mentioned. I can't see why it shouldn't be, but I'm just not sure.</p>

<p>Hmmm ... I can't answer the question re digital backs, but I'm wondering if any of the features specific to the 205 will be of any particular advantage to digital? I guess if you have it, there's no harm using it, and nor can I see why there should be any compatibility issue.<br>

(I see that camera, together with the 203 as being the ultimate tool for 6x6 film photography. Off the track, but I assume you also have the magazine/s for 205. Just today I was wishing I had either for better control of E6 exposure.)</p>

<p>The 205 TCC will work with digital backs but only in combination with leaf shutter lenses. Using the focal plane shutter of the 205 TCC is only possible with the Hasselblad CFV digital backs after a little modification of the camera at the Hasselblad service.<br>

Ulrik</p>

<p>You need a sync cable to the lens if you use the lens shutter with a 205FCC. A modification is required to use the focal plane shutter, which costs $500 and takes about a week. Hasselblad USA will do the modification, or you can ship it to Sweden. This lets you use the internal light meter, automatic shutter control and the built-in self-timer. No modification is required to use the leaf shutter (other than a sync cable).</p>

<p>The modification replaces the ability of an E back to communicate ISO with the body.</p>

<p>As the others have said, the only digital backs that are fully functional on the 200 series are the CFV series of backs. For whatever reason, the 200 series shutter just does not work well with digital backs -- I think this has something to do with the very slow sync speed (the sync is the only way to let the back know that it has to capture). If you are interested in the dp20, then you should look at the CFV-16 (either 1 or 2). They are cheaper these days, and you will be able to use the body with the FE lenses, use the meter, AE and all the other reasons why people choose the 200 series cameras. You will, however have to send it in, and as Edward says, you will no longer get ISO information sent from E backs. <br>

If you don't want to use a CFV back, you are better off looking at an H series camera, the Mamiya AFD series, a Contax 645 or a Hy6/AFi based system. Or just a regular 500 series body.</p>

<p>You have three options available.<br>

1. Use C lenses, set the shutter speed ring to "C" on the 205 and the CFV/CFV39 menu to "Flashsynch" and connect synch cable from lens to back.<br>

2. Have your 205 modified by Hasselblad if you wish to use F/FE lenses. An additional circuit board is soldered into place on the primary PCB circuit board in the body and a badge is attached to the side of the modified 200 series camera stating: “Modified for use with dedicated Hasselblad digital backs”. <br>

<em>note the following practical points when using a 200 series camera modified for cable free use with CFV digital backs:</em><br>

<p>• The cable-free solution only functions in conjunction with either: F/FE lenses <em>or </em>CF/CFi/CFE lenses set in F-mode.<br>

• One consequence of the modification is that there is no data transfer of ISO setting from film<br>

magazine or digital back. This means that the ISO dial on E magazines (and the zone system dial in<br>

the case of older TCC magazines) will no longer function when connected to a modified camera body.<br>

However, ISO settings can easily be made on the camera body instead.<br>

• When using a CFV digital back, an ISO setting has to be made both on the body and on the back.<br>

• Auto bracketing is not possible with a modified 203FE and CFV digital magazine, as the capture rate<br>

of the CFV back is slower than the capture rate of the 203FE would be with film.<br>

3. You can use the 201F, 202FA, 203FE, 205TCC, 205FCC and 2000FC, 2000FCM, 2000FCW, 2003FCW cameras with your F/FE lenses with the Hasselblad CFV/CFV39 and use the focal plane shutter with speeds up to 1/2000th shutter speed provided you use a Kapture group One-Shot HA-001 Cable Release.<br>

Paul</p>

</p>

<p>HI Paul,</p>

<p>You mentioned Option 3:</p>

<p>3. You can use the 201F, 202FA, 203FE, 205TCC, 205FCC and 2000FC, 2000FCM, 2000FCW, 2003FCW cameras with your F/FE lenses with the Hasselblad CFV/CFV39 and use the focal plane shutter with speeds up to 1/2000th shutter speed provided you use a Kapture group One-Shot HA-001 Cable Release.</p>

<p>Does that mean NO MODIFICATION are done to the camera bodies and its just a matter of a 3rd Party Cable that would allow users access to the CFV/CFV39 digital backs? That sounds like the best option. That way I do not have to modified my 205TCC. </p>

<p>The Hasselblad modification, is that strictly for the entire 2000/200 series that must be done in order for the CFV/CFV39 digital backs to sync up with the camera?</p>

<p>Evan</p>

<p>The body modification to a 203/205 camera is the only way to use the focal plane shutter with a CFV back. By inference, it is the only way to use an F/FE lens or a CF lens in the F mode. It will not work with any other digital back.</p>

<p>You do not need this modification if you use a 203/205 and CFx lens in the "C" mode. However, you will need a sync cable between the back and the PC port on the lens.</p>

<p>I'm not sure how useful it is to have 1/2000 second when the maximum ISO rating of a CFV back is 400 (the latest firmware extends the CFV-39 to ISO 800 and 64 seconds). The self-timer and built-in metering are attractive options. That said, I've learned to live with cables and an hand-held light meter with my 205. I recently bought a 555ELD body, which does not need a cable and works at any shutter speed up to 32 seconds without re-programming. If I had any F/FE lenses, I would reconsider getting the 205 modified.</p>

<p>Buy some of today's magnificent film, and use the <strong>full 6x6</strong> imaging qualities of your Hasselblad F lenses!<br>

If you are just bursting to spend money, which those modifications are going to cost you, leave that beautiful camera in it's original state, and buy a good scanner. Then you have the best of both worlds: The State of the Art medium format film camera creating delicious film images, and digital files to play with.<br>

Please don't butcher that camera. They don't make them any more.</p>