2015 Shooting Plan

<p>Is anyone else making a Shooting Plan for the new year? What shot or shots do you want to capture or produce this year? Last year I had a three day solo trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon planned. I mapped out locations and sun angles is advance -- even though I had been to the Canyon at least a dozen times before. I was able to execute about 30% of the plan, which I felt was about what was expected, given weather and other variables. This year I'm planning about a week in South Florida shooting wadding birds.<br>

I've been taking photographs since the '50s and have had some wonderful experiences -- some well planned and others totally unexpected. I remember back in the lat '60s when a friend in San Francisco introduced me to Ansel Adams (I didn't even know she knew him). Ansel was a grand host and invited me to dinner -- I spent the next couple of weeks in Yosemite with Ansel as my guide and we formed a friendship that lasted the rest of his life, and memories for the rest of mine.<br>

Another part of my plan this year is pushing the limits of some of the new processing plugins. I'm enjoying creating graphics from digital images that I previously could only create on paper or canvas with pigments. Digital images (starting with the camera, but certainly not ending there) has expanded creative horizons dramatically in recent years and blurred any line that existed between photography and the other graphic and/or visual arts.<br>

One of those tasks that I keep putting off is better organizing the quarter million digital images sitting on my server.<br>

Happy 2015 photons!</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>My plan is to photograph daily throughout the year, at least one shot. I have been becoming increasingly aware of the beauty (often sublime) of the ordinary objects in and around my own home and their seemingly infinite juxtapositions under a variety of lighting conditions. I don't "stage" them in any way; I prefer to shoot them as they are under the prevailing lighting. I hope to produce a portfolio of the ones my wife and I consider most beautiful and/or interesting.<br /> And E.J., I thought I had a mountainous task ahead with only 40,000 images. I often feel that I don't have enough time left to organize them. Just deciding which ones to delete, let alone classify, seems monstrous hard. Good luck to you. And me.</p>

<p>I spent less time photographing in 2014 that at any time the last ten years. That will change. This year I want to explore going back to B&W portraiture on film specifically using my RB and the soft 150 and a 105 Nikkor, a lens I've never owned or used, in 35mm. I'll also be setting up a darkroom and scanning prints if I digitize them at all. I hope it will be an interesting and creative year.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>Just like my SW defection (70 days) was mostly unplanned, tho it turned to phantasmagoric journey. From Bristlecone F. to Balloon Fest, to Big Bend, to the Wave, etc etc. I'll likely continue this in the PNW. </p>

<p>If I'll go outside the country things have to be planned little tighter. In the mean time looking forward to scanning, however many thousands of images that await in boxes and carousels....the scanner is in the mail....</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Right now, my only plan for a shoot is for bright and early on a Sunday morning in February. On this occasion I will join with a few other intrepid souls in hiking through the swamps in the Big Cypress Preserve in south Florida. See http://www.clydebutchersbigcypressgallery.com/reserve-president-day-swamp-walk for more information.</p>