2010 LCD HDTVs or Monitors? for projecting images ...

<p> </p>

<p>Having Searched the photo.net Forums, I see most responses for LCD HDTVs or Monitors are from 2007 and before.<br>

<br /><br>

Anything new to suggest when it comes to buying an LCD Monitor or HDTV for use with a computer to display photographs, mostly of landscapes? Reasonable pricing is also a consideration.</p>

<p>I have a Quicksilver 2002 Dual 1GHz which has a nice ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card, and I see most folks suggest getting a DVI to HDMI converter and connect to an HDTV that way ...</p>

<p>I was considering a <strong>Sharp LC-40LE700UN 40" LED HDTV</strong>, but don't know how good the resolution is from my Mac ... I want near perfect depth and color perception from slides I scan in via a <strong>Nikon 5000Ed </strong>or from a soon to be purchased digital camera on the level of a <strong>Canon EOS 50D</strong> or hopefully its next generation ...<br>

<br /><br>

I suspect I will be disappointed with an HDTV ... Should I consider an LCD monitor instead? I plan to be studying the image from a distance for up to several hours at a time ... so eye strain is a consideration ...<br>

<br /><br>

Suggestions and specific current model recommendations welcomed.</p>

<p>4K HDTVs (3840x2160) that upscale 1920x1080 are soon to be in the pipeline. They will be expensive at first but will likely be the answer for folks that want a true dual purpose display system (HDTV and computer). With all due respect to this website, the best place for advice on various brands of HDTVs, computer displays, etc., is probably AUDIO VIDEO SCIENCES FORUM (www.AVSFORUM.COM)</p>

<p>I believe you are asking for devices that will display your images? and not necessarily project them?</p>

<p>You can display 1920x1080 on a 16.5" monitor in native resolution on a Sony Vaio laptop. You can display the same 1920x1080 on a 55" LED Samsung monitor, also in the native resolution. Imagine the difference in the size of pixels on these two monitors.</p>

<p>If you plan to "study the image from a distance", then depending on what the distance is (?), one will be more appropriate than the other.</p>

<p>If you plan to look at 40" display too close, perhaps you will be disappointed, and perhaps it does not matter much how good the monitor is. And vice versa, if you look at Vaio from a distance, again you will be disapointed.</p>

<p>If you use a computer from year 2002, then I would not recommend a 4K monitor for you yet.</p>

<p>Then again, with the 3840 x 2160, you will have perhaps much longer viewing distance that you would not be disapointed, but perhaps current 2MegPixels monitor could satisfy your need. With cameras you intend to purchase, there will always be a gap what the picture content is, versus what the monitor can show.</p>