200mm f/2.8L II or zoom on 5D

charles_lipton

I currently only own the 5D + 24-105mm. I do not own anything wider than 24mm

or longer than 105mm; that one lens does it all for me. I do own an 85mm f/1.8

for the occasional time I want a faster prime for portraits. My issue is that

I do not own any telephoto lens. The only trip I have planned is a trip back

to Vietnam in February (was there in '69).

If I buy the 70-200mm (any) then I really only have a 105-200mm telephoto lens

whether it's f/4 IS or faster. Or for half the price of the f/4 IS I can buy

the 200mm f/2.8L II as my telephoto. I was going to wait to see what Canon

does, if anything, with the 100-400mm and upgrading it's IS or a complete new

lens in that focal area but I may not have time to wait if I do go to VN.

My other option is to rent either the 70-200mm f/4 IS or 100-400mm for the VN

trip and wait.

I think the 100-400 is great for sports, but it doesn't sound like that's what you shoot. Do

you sometimes wish you had that much more reach? Then go with it; I own it and love it

and don't think you'd be disappointed. I haven't heard any speculation that they're going

to replace or upgrade that lens, so I don't see much sense in waiting.

However... I'm looking at the 70-200s as well. Personally I really like having the flexibility

of zooms, so am not so tempted by the fisheye. It seems like maybe the 70-200 f4 IS

could be ideal for you. It's lighter and less expensive then the 2.8. I believe some places

that rent the lenses will give you some credit toward the purchase price if you want to buy

one after trying it. So, that may be a good way to go.

The EF 200mm f/2.8 L USM is highly recommended. Search the archive for many threads about this wonderful lens. Not only is it less expensive and optically better than any of them 70-200mm zooms, it also is much lighter and more inconspicuous than them. I prefer the discontinued first version with the built-in lens hood. Team it up with the lightweight 1.4x teleconverter and you have a very respectable 280mm f/4 telephoto if you need the reach.

I own the 200mm f/2.8L lens and love using it for sports photography. I wouldn't think it would be that good of a lens for your trip to Vietnam. Unless you really want to add another lens to your collection I would rent one. I know lensprotogo.com has the 70-200 and 200mm lenses for rent.

<blockquote><i>Do you know if there is any difference in the optics between the I and II versions?</i></blockquote><p>

The optics are exactly the same. Only the hood design was changed, from a one a little too short but built-in, to a detachable plastic hood of better length. I heard rumors that the AF may be a tiny bit faster on the new version, but as it is already pretty much lightning-fast on the Mark I, I would never notice this. And I for one like a built-in lens hood better because it is always there... and a separate one... well, gets separated.

<p>

And what the others say is absolutely true. You need to check out the lenses in person and see which ones you feel most comfortable with. But for candid portraiture the EF 200mm prime is pretty awesome.

"Personally I really like having the flexibility of zooms, so am not so tempted by the fisheye"

Uh, yeah.

Please substitute the word "primes" where I used the word "fisheye". The words are so

similar!

Okay, what was going on in my head was that I only have one non-zoom. My 15mm fisheye.

Thus the connection. Just got myself all messed up writing it down!

I have the 200/2.8L. While it's strong telephoto, it's not a particularly versatile one. I'd take a hard look at the 70-200/4L IS first. It's lighter and equally sharp. If you must have speed, check out the 135/2 with a 1.4X TC. The gulf between 105mm and the 200mm prime is a bit too dramatic, and the 135 is a better portrait lens.

DI

I just got back from Calumet. Checked out the 70-200mm f/4 IS and f/2.8 IS. The f/4 IS seems likes it's half the size of it's f/2.8 brother. I used their 5D body and you could see the brightness difference between the two lens even with the f/2.8 IS version at f/4.

The weight and size are definitely in favor of the f/4 IS about 1 pound lighter.

I think I've pretty much nix'd the 200mm lens idea in favor of one of the 70-200mm lenses. Now, which one? haha Everyone has always said if you can afford it and size/weight is not an issue always go for speed. Most of my travels are keep all my equipment in a tamrac back pack and for day hikes use a nicely padded jansport daypack bag.

I just need to make up my mind before the current rebates run out in January. Maybe by then Canon will have a new lens? I doubt it. Decisions! grrrr

I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 in which I take a 30D, EF-S 10-22mm, 70-200mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 17-85mm and extension rings everywhere when I backpack, this is in addition to my clothes backpack (and sometimes my wifes as well). It's quite a load for all day walkaround but worth it for me. I would second the 'go for speed' mantra - so many times in Asia I missed a shot due to not having a faster lens (even at high ISO) - the 50mm is a recent addition for that reason. You will be thankful for the speed at the temples, tunnels, in the caves at Halong Bay, in the markets and street.

You know... after rereading a few more reviews the accolades given the 70-200mm f/4 IS are amazing. My only concern with the f/4 IS version over the f/2.8 or the f/2.8 IS versions are the f/4 IS's use in low light interior and use as a portrait lens (bokeh). I guess you don't feel hindered at all with your non IS version (which I had and sold)?

• 2 months later...

Hi Charles,

<br>

High quality zooms are designed for flexibility when travelling, and the 70-200 f4 is the

king of light weight High quality longer travel lenses.

<br>The 200L lens is the kind of lens that you keep forever, whereas the 70-200 is a

great general lens but not the ideal specific lens in this case the zoom is ideal for your

needs. You can even get a 1.4x extender to make it even more versatile.

<br>When I changed from Nikon to Canon I used the 70-200 f4 with the 1.4 extender

predominantly for most of my wildlife shots on film.

<br>

<p>

Unless you are on a specific photography mission, you will have a better time with less

equipment such as the 24-105 and 70-200 f4. Then probably throw in the 85 if you

seriously anticipate doing some portrait specific work. but if thats not your plan dont

bother, too many lenses.

<p>

Cheers G