2001 BG Wildlife Photographer of the Year

david_lake_clayton

Thanks for the reminder, David!

Some awesome images; seems to be a trend towards a more "painted" effect, with soft or blurred backgrounds which are rather different from the "as much as possible in focus" wildlife shots you usually see.

Interesting to see underwater images are doing well - obviously, people are getting tired of land animals =0)

*sigh* another reminder to anyone thinking of doing wildlife photography to keep on with the "day job"! =0)

I was mooching round the Natural History museum this weekend for the show, and was diappointed with the selections in some ways. I don't know if that was due to getting more exposure to quality work over the last few years, but the 1999 show still stands out for me as a high point.

Be interesting to compare names between some of the underwater work and the guys that worked on "Blue Planet". Don't know if that has made it stateside yet, but as a BBC documentary in the spirit of "Living Planet" but underwater. Awesome. I suspect the Blue Whale shots from the WPotY were shot from teh same microlights commisioned for the TV series, for example.