200-400 VR lens - Really needed

josh_standon

perhaps sports and wildlife photographers will find a need for a long (especially on smaller digi sensors) relatively fast lens that enables them to change their focal lenth so that they do not have to move towards or away from their subject. nikon used to have a mf version of this lens if i'm correct that was much coveted and near impossible to find these days.

I'd be first in line for this lens if i could afford it. it will most likely be quite expensive. $3500+?

Paul's correct, sports and wildlife will be the major uses. I know a Canon guy who uses a Tamron 200-400, and is going to buy a F100 just so he can own this lens. He does a lot of Birds, really good photos also, but to buy a whole new system??

Rob

I can't see how the 200-400 VR would be in the $3500 range. The Canon 100-

400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS costs $1400, and has the AF-S and VR equivalents. Sure, it is

one half to a stop slower, but it also has longer range, and I can't see how Nikon

would be able to introduce their competing product for more than $2000 or so.

"Is the one stop on the long end really that much better than the 80-400 f/4-5.6? "

Yes and beyond the one stop: The 80-400 VR is a great lens but definitely not fast on focus. I find myself manually focusing the lens quite often to avoid 'hunting' even with the AF limited.

>>I can't see how the 200-400 VR would be in the $3500 range. The Canon 100- 400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS costs $1400, and has the AF-S and VR equivalents. Sure, it is one half to a stop slower, but it also has longer range, and I can't see how Nikon would be able to introduce their competing product for more than $2000 or so.

maybe you need glasses. ever noticed that a 300/4 afs lens is ~$1100 while a 300/2.8 afs is ~$4400? 1 stop costs alot at that focal lentgth range.

As I pointed out in another thread, back in the 1980's, there was an AI-S 200-400mm/f4 zoom that was in the $3000 range new; that was of course 1980 dollars. That lens was discontinued around 1990 or so and since it was so good for wildlife photography, prices shot up to as much as $10,000 in the used market in some cases. (Art Wolfe had one which was lost in the 1996 break in to his vehicle discussed a few days ago.) I think David also pointed this out. Used price finally came back down as AF gradually got mature and becomes an integral part of action photography.

So I would imagine that the new 200-400mm/f4 will be over US$5000. On a small-sensor DSLR, it'll be like a 300-600mm/f4 and be super for wildlife photography. The problem is that a 300mm/f4 AF-S (no VR) is only $900 or so grey. You really pay a lot for the ability to zoom. Moreover, wildlife photographers like me are spoiled by long focal lengths. I already have a 500mm/f4 AF-S. I can't imagine spending another $5000 or whatever and worse yet, carry one more big lens traveling.

This promises to be an amazing. 400mm was a huge gap in Nikon's lenses...they had the f2.8, which is a monster, and the 80-400, which is a great lens but too slow for serious nature photographers.

400mm f/4 is very useful because it's plenty fast and long for just about anything but birds, and it's relatively small.

By incorporating a zoom, Nikon made it a more useful lens, but probably heavier, more expensive and not quite as sharp as a 400mm f/4 prime lens.

The lens clearly is not designed as a 220-400 4G AFS VR on film-cameras. It is designed for digital cameras - and than it is a 300-600 4G AFS VR. That is the point, and the digital-users will buy it.

But I can't imagine that this lens will find its way to a film camera.

Best wishes,

Axel

The lens clearly is not designed as a 220-400 4G AFS VR on film-cameras. It is designed for digital cameras - and than it is a 300-600 4G AFS VR. That is the point, and the digital-users will buy it.

But I can't imagine that this lens will find its way to a film camera.

Best wishes,

Axel

Axel, why not? I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could but obviously I can't. The only problem with the previous 200-400/4 was that it wasn't IF and so it was really slow to focus. This one definitely isn't going to have that problem! And there will be a time when people will use it on full-frame digital cameras.

Axel,

You cannot use the 70-200 with teleconverters and get the same thing as the just announced 200-400. If you could, some clever Nikon engineer would have figured it out months ago and put a stop to the project, don't you think?

The 200-400 is an f/4 lens. The 70-200 with a 2x teleconverter becomes an f/5.6 lens, essentially similar to the 80-400 VR.

You see, there is no free lunch with lenses.

This is going to be a very neat & spiffy lens for sports and wildlife. At 14" long and 7.2 pounds it's not going to be a travel lens - it's aiming towards a whole different market than the 80-400.

The fact that it's not a DX lens means Nikon wanted to make a lens that was useful to both film & digital shooters.

I'll wager the images it produces will be terrific (even with a 1.4 tele which would make it a 420-840/f5.6 on digital bodies).