20+ years since I used a camera last

I last used a camera in 1988. It was a Nikon FM manual focus camera with a 50mm

lens on it. I used it on a summer vacation in London where I shot an entire

brick of slide film.

Fast-forward nearly 20 years, I was reviewing some of those images and I've now

got the desire to do some more photography. But I can't find my camera. My

neighbor suggested that I buy a digital camera. I tried his Canon A640 and I

was, in fact, impressed. I do have a computer and various electronic gadgets,

so I'm not a complete fish out of water.

I can't imagine that there's too much difference from one digital camera to

another, but I do notice that canon seems enjoy the greatest market share for

digital cameras. Millions of people can't be wrong, right?

So, because I was so impressed with my neighbor's A640, I think I'm going to

pick one up. I plan to do Urban and Fine Art photography.

Anything else I'll need besides the camera and computer?

<p><i>"I can't imagine that there's too much difference from one digital camera to another"</i></p>

<p>Judging by that comment, you need to do some more research before you buy...much more. You'll also need an inkjet printer, unless you plan to have someone else print your pics.</p>

I had the Canon A640 in my home for three days and decided to return it to the Costco. I like it but as a heavy flash user I was really hoping for a small low cost digital camera with a hot shoe. I found my choice in the Nikon P5000. It is not as fast as an SLR but it turns in some great images,has a hot shoe, and has a very sharp LCD for monitoring your shots. Also accepts Nikon dedicated flashes (the SB400 goes for just over a C note and weighs mere ounces.) For fast action, Canon has managed to win the day with its motors and processors,but this brand new Nikon P camera is not one to overlook in your case. I love mine already.

You will need an image processing program, or first try what comes with the camera of your choice. Adobe programs are as good as any. And maybe a card reader. And from there on,leave a few bucks for some memory cards. 2 Gig Toshiba or Sandisk are a good buy IMO..

You are in for some happy surprises at was has transpired in latter years in photo imaging. You will want a printer I expect, and that is a whole nuther story....lots of options there too and all good quality results by brands Epson, HP, and Canon. (If I were happy go lucky, I would ALSO own the A640 as it has its own charms, sir)

I have had the opportunity to review several of the Canon PowerShot cameras. The are capable performers. However, one thing to be aware of with point and shoot cameras, film or digital, is that they respond slower than an SLR. The lag time between pressing the button and the shutter actually reacting varies quite a bit and is almost always slower than an SLR. Just something to think about.

If you would have awakened from your slumber and turned to me, I could have handed

you a Sony Mavica to try out. Floppy disk media. 1.6 megapixel. State of the art. (Insert

laughter here)

You can't go wrong with Canon. Or Nikon. Or Pentax, Olympus, HP, Kodak, Fuji, Panasonic,

Konica, Leica, Ricoh, Epson, Sanyo, Samsung, Sony, Casio, Contax.

The choices are staggering.

Welcome back agent Powers.

Likely i'd use the A640 in manual focus mode for any fast moving action requiring fast image

capture. I tried it on my friends and it was an entirely fast enough response. But most of my

photography is going to be Urban/Fine Art without moving subjects. Fast image capture not

essential.

Leo, I'll be using Mpix for prints. I've heard very good things about them. Probably 10 - 20

8.5x11 each month. My neighbor raves about them and, I must say, the samples he showed

me were out of this world.

Uh, if you want a compact, why not get the high-end model Canon PowerShot G7 instead of the A640? Full of 21st century technology like face recognition and image stabilization, and very good regular hard- and software features. Add a hotshoe flash with bounce capabilities and you can take all kinds of pictures that will look better than those from consumer dSLRs with kit lenses.

Bueh was quicker - but (if your decision is to go for a digicam and not DSLR) I would support Canon G7 or Panasonic FZ50. FZ50 has RAW (G7 sadly not), but both are very capable little (or not so little) digicams. I have G7, do not use it much - it is no competition for 1D MkII. The next step would be DSLR - and there is plenty of choice out there.

Joel,

Sounds like you're on the right path with regards to a digital point and shoot and I wish you the best of luck. I think you'll find the A640 to be a great tool.

I would caution the use of a 4GB SD card, to my knowledge the A640 does not support anything over 2GB.

My neighbor says I'd be wasting my money on the G7. First, the A640 has a swivel screen, which I will use. The G7 does not. Next, the G7 has nothing on the A640 image-wise. Next, the A640 is more reasonably priced so it will be easier for me to justify another digital camera purchase a year or so down the line. Finally, I will never use 200mm zoom or flash. So you see, it makes no sense to pay a premium for the G7. The A640 will do everything I need and more.

Welcome back to the land of frustration :) I also took several years off from serious

photography and have been back at it for a couple of years now. Presently I am using a

Canon XT and I love it. I still use my Nikon film camera as well as an old twin lens medium

format. Film cameras are relativly inexpensive right now and I would suggest looking in that

direction as well. Just a though from an old film guy. I can't seem to stay away from it

anyway

Perfidious Joel, have you not overlooked the magic of image stabilization which A640 lacks. Wait, the G7 has it,good choice. I see great photos from the G7 for you. It has the magic,even without RAW. All you need is the deft touch of imagination and==wait one==, it has no swivel screen...Heck,now I am confused too.Frankly, I see no option but to own two or three of these cameras, a G7 and an A640,and some converter lenses for the G7 maybe. Budget be damned,go for the brass ring....Also,get a dedicated Canon flash,to maximize the capabilities of Canon's top of the line G7. Good shopping. Research and anticipation are life's real joys. Like pursuing a mate. A camera is an extension of your art. Choose wisely.

I used the wrong word and was just poking fun at the back and forth we all go through when measuring and weighing the tradeoffs in cameras. I too went through a late stage adoption of digital. Whatever you do get,you will find it works great. And in a year you will wonder how you ever got along without the digital abilities. Example: My Nikon P 5000 has in camera filtration in the black and white mode,so I can choose the equivalent of a green filter,for instance. And it has several sharpening or diffusion modes for color portraits. You will love the digital world. And find it a reason to picture and share more of the things you love to shoot. Backlit viewing on a monitor is a kick too.

Happy trails....gs