$20 Impact Light Stand worth $20?

Discussion in 'Lighting Equipment' started by shawn_hooper, Jul 1, 2009.

1. I am looking for a moderately inexpensive travel lightstand. I have some that I use in the studio but I was hoping to find a smaller/light weight stand. I came acrros this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/359885-REG/Impact_2205_Light_Stand_Black_.html
    and was wondering if anyone here has used this, or other Impact stands? How did the stands do?

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn Hooper
    Highland Creations Photography

2. I have a couple of these and think they are worth the money. Just be careful not to overload them and weight them down with sandbags if you push it. I use them mostly for reflectors, or pack strobes which are pretty light.

3. Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the quick reply. This is exactly what I was wondering.
    Thanks again,
    Shawn

4. The rule I follow is "how much would it cost me to replace whatever I'm mounting on this stand/tripod?". I will never understand putting a $1200 camera on a $60 tripod or a $700 light on a $20 stand. Risk vs Reward is always worth considering... t

5. I use those light weight stands all the time for reflectors and flags, but seldom for lights.
    <Chas>

6. I have put the manfrotto 001b nano stands under silly amounts of strain using them with brollys in wind and they never broke or bent. A much heavier grade photo shop own-brand stand I snapped with ease. I would never go cheap on a stand again and will only buy manfrotto now (think the US call them bogen?). The nano isnt that expensive.

7. How long are these folded and fully extended?
    I have the Bogen Nano and the legs fold upwards when folded, making it very compact. The Nano only extend to 6 feet, though.
    I saw some comments that these Impacts would extend to more than 6 feet?

8. Thanks everyone!
    I'm going to stick my 580II on it for some location lighting overseas. That's why I'm looking for something small...ish.

9. Tom:
    You must be buying ftom e-Bay I have Lens that cost way over $1200.00 and 4X5 camera at Calumet is about $3500.00 there are Digitals in the $4500.00 bracket so $1200.00 is a cheap camera, I do agree I wouldnt put a Sinar or Linhof Camera with a $3000.00 Lens on a $65.00 Tripod or a White Lighting Photo Lamps on a $20.00 Light stand You might think you are saving a little money now and end up Crying because what it ended up costing you in the end.