2 week trip to phillipines - bag question

deadtree02

In April I am taking a two-week trip to the Philippines to visit my wife's family. I am looking for a good bag for the airplane has the camera

in the bottom and space up top. Since space is an issue with packing are there any recommendations for something to carry the camera

around on a daily basis that is not a huge backpack and can be placed in luggage.

I will not be backpacking through the wilderness. We are staying with family, spending a day in Manila and 2 days at a resort. I like the

backpack idea for the plane and the convenience since we will have other bags.

I did a search but could not find anything recent.

If there is any other suggestions on items to bring while traveling to the Philippines feel free. This is the first big trip I have taken with my

gear.

I have a canon 7D a 50mm, a 18-135 a 430 ex ( this might change if I can get my new lens past my wife, 70-200)

Thanx for your thoughts

<p>I have a lot of bags, Domke, ThinkTank and Lowepro. My go-to bag for smaller amounts of gear, where I want good protection for bashing around and storage, is the <a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=Lowepro+Rover+AW+II&oq=Lowepro+Rover+AW+II&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q=Lowepro+Rover+AW+II&newwindow=1&safe=off&tbm=shop">LowePro Rover AW II</a>. </p>

<p>One body, three lenses and a flash will fit in just about any camera bag. See the link below for a medium-size Ruggard backpack I bought just recently from B&H. It would easily hold your camera gear plus room for an iPad and some personal items. This is one you can use both to get there with and also work out of once you're there.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983413-REG/ruggard_pbb_165b_outrigger_65_dslr_backpack.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983413-REG/ruggard_pbb_165b_outrigger_65_dslr_backpack.html</a></p>

<p>Like most shutterbugs, I've got a slew of camera bags/cases. Ranging from suitcase-sized hard cases to solo-camera pouches. I pretty much have a bag for most situations.<br /><br />I've recently done two back-to-back trips where the Philippines was a part of my trip. For these trips I could only take one body, a 16-35 2.8L, 75-200 2.8L, 480EZ flash, a tripod and accessories (cables, remote, batteries, etc), For me, I took my Lowepro Flipside 300 and it was perfect. I love this bag as it holds my gear perfectly (maybe a BIT tight if I carry the lens hoods). But most of all, because of the way you use the hip-strap and spin the bag around to the front (you access the bag from the BACK of the bag, which is unique) you never have to put the bag down! It conveniently lays out in front of you like a little work station. For ANY photographer this is GREAT! Don't have to worry about your gear laying on the ground getting dirty and your stuff is always in front of you so its easier to keep an eye on. And the fact the bag is accessed from the BACK of bag (the side against your back) its a bit more secure as you're walking through town.<br /><br />I highly recommend the Flipside series.<br /><br />Have a GREAT trip. PI is fantastic and the people are extremely friendly. And MAN can they ever EAT!!! I hope you like PORK! And practice eating with a fork and spoon, sir. :)<br /><br />P.S. Be careful in the Philippines. Some areas are notorious for pickpockets or outright muggings. And ANY camera bag, regardless of how "inconspicuous" it may be, is like a BEACON to thieves.</p>